You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot - file format for loading/saving flight plans

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions on which flight plan file type to use when loading and saving flight plans in vPilot. I know that the various flight planning tools (PFPX, SimRoutes, FSBuild, etc.) all support different types of file formats for exporting their flight plans, and I'm wondering which format is most widely supported, since that would be the format I would want to use for vPilot. I've only used SimRoutes myself (and FSBuild a looooong time ago) so I'm not sure which formats the others support. I'm leaning towards using the Squawkbox 3 format, since I know that is supported by at least PFPX and SimRoutes.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Make it extensible (and future-proofed) by publishing an SDK/API with a set of "getters" vPilot will use to call into external DLLs which can then p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] flight plans in formats vPilot doesn't natively understand?

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Make it extensible (and future-proofed) by publishing an SDK/API with a set of "getters" vPilot will use to call into external DLLs which can then p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] flight plans in formats vPilot doesn't natively understand?

This. I'd love to write some C# plugins to let vPilot read/write out of our own flight plan format.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I definitely like the idea of using plugins for this, and that may be in vPilot's future, but what I'm looking for here is feedback from users of the popular flight planning tools to see which format vPilot should support out of the box.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Straight out of the box the SB4/FSInn format - they are already supported by PFPX and most other addons.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted
I'm looking for opinions on which flight plan file type to use when loading and saving flight plans in vPilot....Any thoughts or recommendations?

Please consider the ability to import and save the native flight plan format for the simulators that will be used--FS9, FSX, Xplane. It seems like if those are the most often used clients, being able to accept their native data format might make sense.

Also, what about saved flight plans from FMC's like the PMDG users have?

To answer specifically:

Please support SimRoutes as a minimum.

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Please consider the ability to import and save the native flight plan format for the simulators that will be used--FS9, FSX, Xplane.

Note that vPilot is for FSX only. (And P3D works but is not officially supported.) I've considered supporting the FSX flight plan format, but I'm told that it expands airways into individual waypoints along the airway, which is bad.

Please support SimRoutes as a minimum.

SimRoutes can export in several different formats ... I'm looking for recommendations on which of those formats to support loading in vPilot.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I've considered supporting the FSX flight plan format, but I'm told that it expands airways into individual waypoints along the airway, which is bad.

It does, but the individual XML elements have the airway code so you should be able to stitch it back together.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I've considered supporting the FSX flight plan format, but I'm told that it expands airways into individual waypoints along the airway, which is bad.

It does, but the individual XML elements have the airway code so you should be able to stitch it back together.

Ahh, okay ... I'll take a look at that option then ... I imagine all the popular tools support the FSX format.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I'd also support using the FSX .PLN format. It's the closest thing to a standard we have.

Ideally, in the long run, the flightsim community will be able to standardize on a single format.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Luke, you mentioned XML ... I see that FSX exports as XML, but I tried using SimRoutes to generate a flight plan and exported it in FSX format, and it wasn't XML. Looks like this:

[flightplan]
title=KBTV to KBOS
description=KBTV, KBOS
type = IFR
routetype = 3
cruising_altitude=0
departure_id=KBTV, N44* 28.31', W73* 09.20', +000335.00
destination_id=KBOS, N42* 21.86', W71* 00.31', +000019.00
departure_name=Burlington_Intl
destination_name=General_Edward_Lawrence_Logan
waypoint.0=KBTV, A, N44* 28.31', W073* 09.20', +000000.00, 
waypoint.1=LEB, V, N43* 40.73', W072* 12.96', +000000.00, BTV5
waypoint.2=KELLI, I, N43* 33.74', W072* 03.12', +000000.00, V141
waypoint.3=KERSY, I, N43* 21.63', W071* 46.21', +000000.00, V141
waypoint.4=CON, V, N43* 13.19', W071* 34.53', +000000.00, V141
waypoint.5=TOMIE, I, N43* 10.18', W071* 27.42', +000000.00, 
waypoint.6=LWM, V, N42* 44.43', W071* 05.69', +000000.00, 
waypoint.7=BOS, V, N42* 21.45', W070* 59.37', +000000.00, 
waypoint.8=KBOS, A, N42* 21.86', W071* 00.31', +000000.00, 

So I guess FSX supports more than one format for .PLN files.

I'm still leaning towards using the Squawkbox 3/4 format, since it leaves the route alone.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
So I guess FSX supports more than one format for .PLN files.
It does, for backwards compatibility. The .pln format you posted above is, I believe, the FS9 format. I don't think the XML version was introduced until FSX.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

My guess is the same as Bradley's, it's for compatibility with FS9. The XML format is easily accepted by ASN, PFPX, and FSX, and so would be the best format I think. You mentioned somewhere that the new client is only compatible with FSX, so XML would be preferred, I think.

One thing FSInn does is, if you had the flight plan loaded in FSX before you started FSInn, it would automatically show the flight plan in FSInn when you click on FP, with Origin and Destination filled in. It would even have the altitude selected, 13000, if you haven't been paying attention in FSX, but it would still do it .

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

• 3 months later...
Will Reynolds
Posted
Posted
Hello all,

I'm looking for opinions on which flight plan file type to use when loading and saving flight plans in vPilot. I know that the various flight planning tools (PFPX, SimRoutes, FSBuild, etc.) all support different types of file formats for exporting their flight plans, and I'm wondering which format is most widely supported, since that would be the format I would want to use for vPilot. I've only used SimRoutes myself (and FSBuild a looooong time ago) so I'm not sure which formats the others support. I'm leaning towards using the Squawkbox 3 format, since I know that is supported by at least PFPX and SimRoutes.

Ross, great work on the new client!

Could you please confirm if VPilot is able to accept exported flight plan directly from PFPX? and if so, how? I have tried exporting in SB format and FSINN format to no avail.

many thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't have PFPX, so I can't say for sure, but I know others have used it with vPilot just fine, exporting in SB format.

Will Reynolds
Posted
Posted
I don't have PFPX, so I can't say for sure, but I know others have used it with vPilot just fine, exporting in SB format.

Thanks Ross, I worked it out...need to use the "VATSIM" export format in PFPX, it will export in the required format and VPILOT can use it.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Great, thanks for letting me know.