You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TAG item to see which aircrafts are mode S capable ?

Pierre Ferran

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow controllers,

I recently started using the professionnal radar mode in ES, works great ! But i was wondering, in France, mode S is used widedly, and all aircraft that are mode S capable are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk 1000, i would like to do that on VATSIM as well, but is there any way to see which aircrafts are mode S capable in order to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign them that squawk other than going in the FP dialog box and read the equipement code ?

Cordialement,

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Not on the TAG directly, but the radar target position may be different if S mode or A+C mode transponder data is received. Check the Symbology settings .../Symbols.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Marvin Palmer
Posted
Posted

VATSIM doesn't replicate wither they are modeC or ModeS capable..They are in theory ALL mode C and S. The only difference is if they use the proper suffix code to display. I've noticed that a lot of times the pilots do not place a suffix code in (or are primarily /F).

If you have your radars placed and using professional radar, your target symbol (as explained by Gergely) will show up based on which radar picked it up and what suffix code is being used.

I do cheat sometimes and change the code myself in the aircraft's flightplan, just to see different returns.

If you go to "OTHER SET", Symbology Settings, then on the right side dropdown "Symbols" will show you what the a/c target will look like.

Pierre Ferran
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Thank you both for your replys. I do know how Euroscope simulates the mode S aircrafts, and trust me, more and more pilots are sending correct equipement code, especially since PFPX came out.

I'v already played a lot with the symbology, but the french system doesn't use two symbols for mode S and mode C aircrafts.

To be more realistic, I'v coded a little plugin that adds a tag/list item showing "S" for an s mode aircraft and "C" for an C mode aircraft. I'v also updated the equipement code list to try and avoir having too many mode S aircrafts, and use the new codes that are being sent by PFPX. This little plugin also allows the allocation of squawk 1000 to S mode aircrafts by one click, after checking its direction of flight. Since only mode S flights departing from and going to France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk 1000.

I might release it soon if anyone is interested, just needs a tiny bit of polishing.

Cordialement,

Marvin Palmer
Posted
Posted

Good to hear, I need to start playing around with plugin scripts. It seems the best way to make your own personal modifications.