You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help Understanding a New Pilot from Korea

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

One of the VAs I belong to has a new pilot who speaks only Korean. He is using Google Translator to communicate with us through our forums, but the translator is spitting out disjointed, confusing, and difficult to understand sentences. When we try to translate our words into Korean so we can enter the Korean words all we get from Google is a series of vertical hash marks such as "| || |||| ||||| || ||||"

We have asked him several times (in English and I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume he is translating that into Korean) to give us his full name. Right now the only way we know it is him is through his Forum Login which is samXYZ123 (an alias for the purpose of this post to protect both him and his VA callsign), but he never signs his posts "sam" and XYZ123 is already [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to another pilot in the VA.

I am trying to help this pilot with several issues he is having, but don't know how to get my words across to him.

First, we know he is not "XYZ123" because we have contacted XYZ123 and know he is not the same guy. We believe he used that callsign to join Virtual Airlines Financials (VAFS) and is using that as his callsign with us, which is odd because normally the VA [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igns the callsign and login for VAFS through a link. I suspect he was a member of another VA "XYZ" and is trying to using that VAs login to login to our PIREP system, which obviously will not work. We cannot get across to him that he needs to use our [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned information, not another VAs.

Second, he seems to refuse or ignore all requests for his real name so we can go through our lists of newly [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned pilots and "find" him (there have been quite a few). Maybe we are asking this in an incorrect way or Google is translating it incorrectly. Is there a specific way Korean surnames and given names are "ordered"? Is there a way to type "What is your real name" in Korean using english language characters?

Judging from their answers to him many of the VA staff (I am just a pilot of the line "nobody" in the VA) seem to be getting frustrated and to the point of ignoring his disjointed posts. I fear he will soon be "kicked". I want to try to "save" this pilot and help him, but I do not know how to communicate with him.

I suggested to him (again, in English which I hope translated correctly) that he have a friend or family who spoke English to help him with our questions. Nothing in his posts indicates he understood, saw, or reacted to this request.

Some of the staff are starting to feel as if this could be an attempt to hack into our system because he keeps asking for the VAFS p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word to fly. I have a gut feeling that this is not the case, but I could be wrong.

I am at my wit's end trying to help this pilot. I didn't know where else to go, so I came here to see if anyone on your forum could help.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

some people are beyond help unfortunately, i personally try as much as possible, but at some point its beyond your control. especially with the trolls who act like they need help but are just looking for attention.

whether or not thats what you are dealing with is up in the air. even a badly worded translation should be easily enough understood what the other person is trying to tell you, especially if you are just asking for a name.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that E (surprised to see you in this forum...

To everyone else, we got it figured out.

Appreciate your help, Ernesto!

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

• 1 month later...
Choongwon Noh 916292
Posted
Posted

First of all, I need to know his 'PID' to identify the member you have mentioned.

1. I also have searched call sign 'XYZ123' on stats servers if he uses the same call sign on the network. Actually, I don't know how the VAFS works in several VAs. If you have chance to find his PID, then please let me know it.

2. I think he does not speak English at all. Is there any Koreans in your VA who can help him with language? If not, please tell him to visit www.vatkor.net to ask for a help. Since Korean character does not appear correctly, it is hard to give information to him. I can write the pronunciation in English character but I am not sure he understands perfectly. "What is your Korean real name?" - "hangug-eolo dangsin-ui silmyeong-i mwongayo?" http://translate.google.co.kr/#auto/en/%ED%95%9C%EA%B5%AD%EC%96%B4%EB%A1%9C%20%EB%8B%B9%EC%8B%A0%EC%9D%98%20%EC%8B%A4%EB%AA%85%EC%9D%B4%20%EB%AD%94%EA%B0%80%EC%9A%94%3F

Please tell me the exact name of VA you and he are flying. I will my best to settle this down.

Thank you.

Choongwon Greg Noh

916292, Division Director

VATSIM KOREA DIVISION

2c87dd0d8b046af33e94e20ac95aa0a3.png

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted

If you see him online and flying, .wallop and a Supervisor may be able to help you out. Can't promise anything, but worth a shot. Also you may want to advise him that per the Code of Conduct he is required to give his full name in his pilot client when logged onto VATSIM.

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC