You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New ATIS Requirements?

Nate Johns

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
For the record, a "team" can have healthy discourse.

I think it's fine if we have different opinions, as long as we are cordial to each other and abide by the rules.

If the opinions are being shared in a "healthy" or constructive manner, then I agree with you 100%.

Matthew Kramer
Posted
Posted

If you don't have anything positive to say, why bother to say it?

Because everything has a negative and going on without looking at that negative is a setup for failure and singular rule. If we all went along with "Ok lets do this because "they" said so!" then the world would have gotten nowhere and many of the freedoms we enjoy today would not exists.

[/soapbox]

ZLA DATM, I1

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

Yes Matt,

Everything has a down side... but stomping your feet and saying NO isn't a constructive way of starting a debate.

Everyone has an opinion. Its the helpful ones who come up with a way to fix or help the issue before they bring up their discontent.

I guess I am just wired differently...

If I have an issue with something, I ask the person involved ( I had no idea this thread was happening until someone ELSE told me )

While everyone has a right to voice their opposition, if a soultion isn't provided ALONG WITH that complaint, then all that is accomplished is the virtual version of a temper tantrum.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

SB Testing & Support Team

VRC Testing & Support Team

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
Yes Matt,

Everything has a down side... but stomping your feet and saying NO isn't a constructive way of starting a debate.

Everyone has an opinion. Its the helpful ones who come up with a way to fix or help the issue before they bring up their discontent.

I guess I am just wired differently...

If I have an issue with something, I ask the person involved ( I had no idea this thread was happening until someone ELSE told me )

While everyone has a right to voice their opposition, if a soultion isn't provided ALONG WITH that complaint, then all that is accomplished is the virtual version of a temper tantrum.

Richard,

While I will agreee you with you for about 80% of your post, I feel that some of us don't see the "forest thru the trees", and cannot always provide or suggest an answer to the problem.

But I agree that a more "diagnostic" type of approach to what the user has an issue with, is much more helpfull in any debate.

And as it is a free forum, you should also consider this as it is POSITIVE feedback, regardless of the users background or experience, as it's weighted on the merits of the poster, as well of the relevence of the post as is has to do with the topic at hand.

The sarcastic and negative posts, ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming their not violating the CoC) should also be considered, as not eveyone in this community is seeing through the same scope as you and I do.

My 2 Hundred Dollars (used to be my 2 cents, but you know about inflation!)

Cheers!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

I feel that some of us don't see the "forest thru the trees", and cannot always provide or suggest an answer to the problem.

But I agree that a more "diagnostic" type of approach to what the user has an issue with, is much more helpfull in any debate.

And as it is a free forum, you should also consider this as it is POSITIVE feedback, regardless of the users background or experience, as it's weighted on the merits of the poster, as well of the relevence of the post as is has to do with the topic at hand.

The sarcastic and negative posts, ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming their not violating the CoC) should also be considered, as not eveyone in this community is seeing through the same scope as you and I do.

Gerry -

Trust me, I know what you are saying...

I have no problem tuning through the "white noise" of negative posts, but I can't agree with you about the sarcasm... if someone disagrees that’s fine.

But there is never a good reason to be sarcastic, (I would hope) we are all trying to make VATSIM as good as it can get...

Saying things like.... "I don’t like it", that’s all well and good but all that was accomplished is a temper tantrum on par with a 3 year old.

Saying "I don't like it because I already have 4 lines in my ATIS" is another thing. That at least has some constructive aspect and tells me why someone doesn't like it.

I am good but I am not a mind reader and if someone just posts a consistent negative tone on the forums, there is no reason for me to even attempt to fathom someone's latest discontent.

The sad thing is, that that person MIGHT have a valid reason and could have helped the process, but of instead of formulating a coherent thought, they just typed the first thing that came to mind.

BTW - I am speaking in hypotheticals here and not about anyone or any situation.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor

Chad Black
Posted
Posted
You did read something that made you upset, and you have every right to post your thoughts.

I however hope that if you hear something that doesnt sound 100% kosher in the future, you will shoot me an email or ask "Did this come from VATUSA"?

In that case, shut down the COMMUNITY FORUM and tell all members that only compliments and happy thoughts are to be posted here... all concerns and questions regarding policies and procedures (old or new) are only to be sent via email. Brace yourself for a full mail-box though on a regular basis. By posting concerns (this one is a great example) we can ALL see what the real information at hand is, and possibly get a better understanding as a whole by those involved... rather than burdening you with having to respond to 200 emails from concerned members.

Being in a position of power comes with its drawbacks... If you don’t like those you serve airing their concerns publicly, then perhaps you should start getting used to it.... Especially in these forums...lol

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the clarification.

Jeffery Williams 849847
Posted
Posted
In that case, shut down the COMMUNITY FORUM and tell all members that only compliments and happy thoughts are to be posted here... all concerns and questions regarding policies and procedures (old or new) are only to be sent via email. Brace yourself for a full mail-box though on a regular basis. By posting concerns (this one is a great example) we can ALL see what the real information at hand is, and possibly get a better understanding as a whole by those involved... rather than burdening you with having to respond to 200 emails from concerned members.

Being in a position of power comes with its drawbacks... If you don’t like those you serve airing their concerns publicly, then perhaps you should start getting used to it.... .

I think you know very well that wasn't the intent of Richard's statement...

Richard Green 810012
Posted
Posted

I think you know very well that wasn't the intent of Richard's statement...

Too true Jeff...

But I think I have repeated myself enough.

Richard Green

VATSIM Supervisor