You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connecting Two Saitek Three Lever Throttle Quadrants

Carlyle  Miller 1140848

Carlyle  Miller 1140848
Posted
Posted

I am attempting to use two Saitek three lever throttle quadrants with my PC on FSX. Both throttle quadrants have a round plug at the end of the cord coming out of the back of the throttle quadrant. There is only one outlet in the back of the Saitek yoke which matches the throttle quadrant plug.

I bought USB to PS/2 keyboard to mouse converter hoping that I could use that to plug the second throttle quadrant into a USB port in the computer. Nothing I try with the converter works.

I know both throttle quadrants work because I plugged each one into the back of the yoke box (one at a time) and the lights come on each throttle quadrant.

Can someone tell me how to get both throttle quadrants to work? Thank you in advance.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Which specific Saitek products do you have? I thought the TQAs and yoke products were all connected via USB?

Carlyle  Miller 1140848
Posted
Posted

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, one throttle quadrant which came with the yoke and another throttle quadrant. Each throttle quadrants have three levers. At the end of the cable which come out of each throttle quadrant is a round plug with 5 pins inside. At the back of the yoke is three USB ports and one port which takes the round plug. I can get power to the second throttle quadrant.

Johnathan Lee
Posted
Posted

I'm gonna take a guess here and say that you have two kits of yoke+throttle and are trying to use the second throttle to augment or add a feature to your 'main' yoke.

If that is right, then... Without modding the electronics, you will have to plug in both yokes.

regards

/jl

vafs_status.php?cs=FDX3590&c=1

Carlyle  Miller 1140848
Posted
Posted

I have only 1 yoke. I am trying to get the 2 throttle quadrants to run so I can use them for four engine jets.

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted

It seems as if normally extra throttles have a USB connector. Where did you get your extra throttle from?

EDIT: Looking more into this the throttle requires firmware which is found in the USB connector of the throttle or yoke. The PS2 to USB adapter did not work as the USB does not have the required firmware. The only way to use the throttle will be to re-wire the throttle connection to a special USB adapter.

Source:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=37779

VATSIM UK S2 Rated (Essex RTS)

Sam%20White.jpg

Carlyle  Miller 1140848
Posted
Posted

A friend gave it to me. Is there any way change the cord in the second throttle quadrant? Or are the circuit boards in it set for PS2 only?

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted

There is, but it will require re-wiring and soldering. Also the cost of the USB is around $85, which is more expensive than the cost of a USB throttle of $60

Sam%20White.jpg

Sam White 1214219
Posted
Posted

Reading more into the previously linked thread the person who posted it has basically managed to make the PS2 throttle work on its own, by purchasing a standalone USB precision joystick adapter, and retiring the throttle. I did not read far enough into the thread before, but they have managed to re-wire the throttle with a cheaper USB card than previously stated. This is a 10 bit instead of the previously quoted 12bit card. This is much cheaper at $33. You can follow the thread here which should be able to guide you to some extent through the process.

Sam%20White.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Philip Whitehead 1223066
Posted
Posted

I too want a second three lever quadrant. Like he says the quadrant that is supplied with the yoke has a round plug similar to a PS2 mouse/keyboard plug and this connects to the side of the yoke.

Therefore if buying a second quadrant how will it connect as there is only one socket on the yoke to accept this type of plug.

I wonder if additional quadrants come with a USB plug.

FSX- X-Plane 10 - Intel Core i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz - MSi Z77 Mpower mobo - EVGA GTX660 Superclocked 3gb - 8gig of Samsung Green DDR3 at 1866mhz

Tony  Shade 1269300
Posted
Posted
I too want a second three lever quadrant. Like he says the quadrant that is supplied with the yoke has a round plug similar to a PS2 mouse/keyboard plug and this connects to the side of the yoke.

Therefore if buying a second quadrant how will it connect as there is only one socket on the yoke to accept this type of plug.

I wonder if additional quadrants come with a USB plug.

When If you purchase the flight yoke system the throttle [Mod - Happy Thoughts]embly that comes with it is the ps2 plug. When you purchase a second throttle quad, it comes with a usb connection. You can either buy a power plug from Saitek for the yoke system and plug it in there or a usb port on your computer.

OORAH!!!! IT'S A MARINE THING.