You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Really low FPS

Tomek Salata 1283227

Tomek Salata 1283227
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow vatsim members,

I have a medium/high end gaming system and my issue like the one of many people out there is my very low FPS. On the ground and in the air I cant seem to break past a brick wall of 15 FPS. I have checked my settings that I'm not limiting my FPS and I am not running any external FPS limiters. I've searched for FPS boosts for FSX and applied some of the suggestions, I've made customizations to my fsx.cfg, honestly I've tried it all. It does not seem to matter if I run the game at Ultra High settings or Ultra Low I always get the same FPS. So does anyone know a possible fix for the issue or have an idea of what the issue might be.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU- AMD Phenom 960T (OC to 6 cores from 4 and 3.6Ghz)

GPU- AMD R9 280X (MSI edition OC to core clock of 1100Mhz, 3GB of VRam)

Memory- 8GB (2x4GB sticks)

I can post further specs upon request but those are the main three that affect performance on FSX or so I hear.

If you have any suggestions please post them it will be appreciated.

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

I have a medium/high end gaming system and my issue like the one of many people out there is my very low FPS. On the ground and in the air I cant seem to break past a brick wall of 15 FPS. I have checked my settings that I'm not limiting my FPS and I am not running any external FPS limiters. I've searched for FPS boosts for FSX and applied some of the suggestions, I've made customizations to my fsx.cfg, honestly I've tried it all. It does not seem to matter if I run the game at Ultra High settings or Ultra Low I always get the same FPS. So does anyone know a possible fix for the issue or have an idea of what the issue might be.

Here are my PC specs:

I can post further specs upon request but those are the main three that affect performance on FSX or so I hear.

I get 15FPS in the PMDG 777 using a Core2Duo 2.8GHz machine with 4GB of RAM and a lowly GeForce 210 low-profile card, so this is baffling to me. I would go back to the default FSX config and make minor tweaks from there while docomeenting what you do. Things like memory management have been key for me. I have probably 10 different payware aircraft that used to load DLLs for gauges on startup. I found out that was pushing my VAS (virtual memory address space) up so high that it was killing performance. I now have everything disabled and load them manually each time when starting a flight. After I did that, FSX now runs 75% processor utilization and doesn't try to overload the graphics card and that works for my gear.

With FSX I've learned, by reading way too much in forum posts, that there is no silver bullet to fix the problem. If it was me:

0. Disable weather/texture add-ons.

1. Default the FSX.cfg file.

2. Add the HIGHMEMFIX line to it.

3. Run FSX and docomeent FPS using a consistent aircraft+airport combo with the settings for "night" because lighting places a big load on the system.

4. Using guides for ATI cards, set your graphics driver for some basic optimizations, then repeat step 3 and docomeent.

5. Add a single FSX tweak and repeat step 3 and docomeent.

Repeat steps 4 and 5 above and make a conscious effort not to "over tweak" and to be happy when you find a plateau. Like I mentioned above, my PC specs are low, but I run with DX10 and some memory management and get to a happy place where I still enjoy the flights. No, it's not 30FPS or higher, but my focus is the fun of the flight, not the smooth realism to trick me into believing I'm "there".

Hope this helps,

Steve

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Steve's advice is good, but I'll point that that processor is a bit weak for FSX. FSX tends to run best on i5 or i7 Intel CPUs, as they have better single-thread performance than AMD's offerings. The two extra cores you unlocked aren't going to be helpful with FSX.

The GPU though is way better than the CPU, so I'd imagine that the CPU is creating a bottleneck. Just curious, why did you mix the older Phenom with the newer and more expensive R9?

I'd suggest trying to bump up the CPU to 4 gHz or more, even disabling the two unlocked cores if it helps. A better CPU would definitely help, though

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Tomek Salata 1283227
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply Steve I'll be sure to try it later and report back here if it worked.

Darrol I upgraded my graphics card recently from an old Nvidia 9500GT, the PC i have has kind of been a mix and match of upgrades whenever I find the money to do so. The next upgrade that I will do will definitely be the CPU since its starting to become a bit ancient. Moreover about the CPU overclocking, I have tried to overclock it and cant seem to find a stable clock with it lately, it seems to run most stable on 6 cores weirdly. I have disabled the two extra cores before and tried pushing it from 3.3Ghz to 3.5 or 3.6 but its never stable so I just gave up.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I see that, that's reasonable. I had a PC like that for a while as well. When you do upgrade the CPU, you're going to need a new motherboard as well, and I recommend an i7 CPU.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Tony  Shade 1269300
Posted
Posted

Here are my PC specs:

AMD Processors and multiple cores run just fine with fsx. I recommend going to http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html and follow his instructions for fsx setup. I had all kinds of problems until I applied his fixes. Try it.....

OORAH!!!! IT'S A MARINE THING.