You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VA Specializing in "Delivering" Aircraft

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Don't know why, but I thought about this concept on the way home from work today and wondered if it had ever been tried.

Basically, a VA that "partners" with other VATSIM VAs to "deliver" their aircraft to them. I just refinished reading "Wager with the Wind", the story of Don Sheldon in Talkeetna, Alaska.

One of his jobs after returning to the US from Europe and the skies of WWII was shuttling Piper aircraft to new buyers in North America. As I was thinking of this I realized I had never seen a VA that "delivered" new Boeings from Seattle, new Beechcraft from Wichita I believe it is, an Airbus or two from France, maybe even a retro out of MASDC in Tucson.

Kind of a silly idea really, but it does intrigue me. Sadly I do not have the smarts, wherewithal, or funds to create such a "VA". It really wouldn't be a VA as such but more of a "VC"...Virtual Company. It would be interesting and certainly a change of pace...sort of...from the potential humdrum of "flying the line" for a VA that has limited aircraft variety. Airframe choices would only be limited by the creator's/designer's imagination.

Think of it, bringing a Kodiak out of Sandpoint, Idaho to the mountains of Nepal. Imagine the logistics of getting her across the pond. Then turning around and taking the B787 to Japan for ANA, then taking a C182 down to Bolivia. What fun. I'd join it. Right now I fly for 4 VAs so I can utilize all my addon aircraft. Because you wouldn't be "delivering" an actual purchase the creator of the aircraft is moot. If American Airlines started flying the B747-400 you could have a pilot use his/her default, PMDG, RFP, POSKY...any B747 they have to deliver one to DFW. Get other VAs involved so Fleet Managers could "request" aircraft from you and then set up the delivery.

SEA Challenger "sorta" does something similar during their Challenges. If you "break" an aircraft or run out of fuel you have to sit and wait until a staff member "flies in" parts/fuel before flying out.

Anyway, just a random thought while driving when I shoulda been paying attention to traffic I guess.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

ferry companies are a norm at FSEconomy but you wont see the big jetliners there. some of those long hauls are really long hauls

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

Randy:

Sounds like a cool idea. Good change of pace when I get bored with flying my FedEx routes. The variety of aircraft would be fun too!

Steve

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

Johnathon Neilsen 955672
Posted
Posted

I floated the idea of launching a simulated Boeing a few years back, but due to family and health issues, I just couldn't commit to it. Now I have some spare time I was thinking about it again, but I really dont have that much experience with painting aircraft.

I can lend a hand with the operational side of things if others are interested in starting something like this.

955672.png