You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

hold generator?

Semir Gebran

Semir Gebran
Posted
Posted

Hello folks

Any tool to generate holds at VOR, NDB or waypoints?

Thanks!

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

You mean drawing them? I wouldn't advise you to do it since most pilots will not perform it as accurately as you'd like them to.

You'll have to draw them manually or use tools that can help you. I have created a few Euroscope goodies although not a specific one for holds. I could spend a few minutes on it, though. Let me see my agenda this week

In the meantime someone said:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=61259

But no one replied to that. Maybe contact the OP?

Also, not sure if this tool has the ability to draw a hold, but check it out:

http://www.craig-phillips.co.uk/esplugins/vca/VirtualController[Mod - Happy Thoughts]istant.zip

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Semir Gebran
Posted
Posted

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your reply. Yes i know pilots won't fly these holds as drawn, however in our sector file we already have the option to show holds, some of these changed location and need to be moved so i just wanted t add/update those for consistency.

Thanks!

/Semir

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Ok, I've created the code and have done a few tests.

I've added it to my FSMine tools here:

http://fsmine.dhis.org/euroscope/design/drawer.cgi

Here is an example on how to use it:

LAR=38.994333:-9.040389      (optional, only if it is not a fix)
set color white
LAR hold(300,r)

What does the above do?

a) sets LAR to be at latitude 38.994333, longitude -9.040389 (your holding fix. If it is a unique waypoint there's no need to define it)

b) sets the color you want to paint with (please note it must exist as a #define in the .sct file!)

c) then it draws a hold at fix LAR with inbound course 300 and right ® turns. For left turns set it to "l".

d) the output are all the lines you need to add to your "[GEO]" section in your .sct file

Please let me know if this works. The hold is fixed to 2nm wide, 5nm long, by design. This may have to be adjusted as well but needs more math.

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Semir Gebran
Posted
Posted

Works like a charm! thanks Miguel! Also thanks for all the tools you made available, these helped me a lot with doing the OSTT sector.

Take care,

Semir

• 6 years later...
Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2014 at 1:09 PM, Miguel Frias said:

Ok, I've created the code and have done a few tests.

I've added it to my FSMine tools here:

http://fsmine.dhis.org/euroscope/design/drawer.cgi

Here is an example on how to use it:

LAR=38.994333:-9.040389      (optional, only if it is not a fix)
set color white
LAR hold(300,r)

What does the above do?

a) sets LAR to be at latitude 38.994333, longitude -9.040389 (your holding fix. If it is a unique waypoint there's no need to define it)

b) sets the color you want to paint with (please note it must exist as a #define in the .sct file!)

c) then it draws a hold at fix LAR with inbound course 300 and right ® turns. For left turns set it to "l".

d) the output are all the lines you need to add to your "[GEO]" section in your .sct file

Please let me know if this works. The hold is fixed to 2nm wide, 5nm long, by design. This may have to be adjusted as well but needs more math.

Hey Miguel!

thanks for the amazing tool! Is it possible for you to add outbound distance of hold function?

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Wow, so many years have gone by and this is still be used. Not quite sure what you mean here. Can you give a more detailed example maybe even with a drawing or charts example?

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Miguel Frias said:

Wow, so many years have gone by and this is still be used. Not quite sure what you mean here. Can you give a more detailed example maybe even with a drawing or charts example?

Haha. Yeah. Most best tool of making Sector!  And for the request. Outbound distance means the distance at outbound course. Holding include 4 legs. It means the third legs should be that distance, but also same for inbound distance. Inbound distance=Outbound distance. Make more sense?

Edited by Hongye Zhang

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Hongye Zhang said:

Haha. Yeah. Most best tool of making Sector!  And for the request. Outbound distance means the distance between inbound point until outbound turning. Holding include 4 legs. It means 2 legs(half of holding) should be that distance. In another words, a turn plus a straight (before second turn) is outbound distance. Make more sense?

You can do this in IVAO Aurora Builder (IAB).

Link: IAB

Regards, 

S G

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Sachin Gnath said:

You can do this in IVAO Aurora Builder (IAB).

Link: IAB

that's for IVAO, it that work on ES?

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted
Just now, Hongye Zhang said:

that's for IVAO, it that work on ES?

Yes it does. We used to use IAB to create holding patterns in our Indian Sector Files for ES. 

Regards, 

S G

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
Just now, Sachin Gnath said:

Yes it does. We used to use IAB to create holding patterns in our Indian Sector Files for ES. 

oh thanks!

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Hi. It's implemented:

<FIX> hold(026, l, 5)

026 is the heading

l, left turn

5 is the length in nm of the downwind/upwind

With no value the default is 3nm

Miguel Frias

1107190.png1107190.png

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Miguel Frias said:

Hi. It's implemented:

<FIX> hold(026, l, 5)

026 is the heading

l, left turn

Perfect! Thanks!

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Sachin Gnath said:

Hi, I found that there is AIRAC export airway function, do you know how to change it to sct format?

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2021 at 4:56 PM, Hongye Zhang said:

Hi, I found that there is AIRAC export airway function, do you know how to change it to sct format?

Hi, 

Normally I use a .sct dummy file & then copy paste the data into the dummy .sct file. Once it's aligned I copy the airway data into the main .sct file. 

Regards, 

S G  

Regards, 

S G

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Sachin Gnath said:

Hi, 

Normally I use a .sct dummy file & then copy paste the data into the dummy .sct file. Once it's aligned I copy the airway data into the main .sct file. 

Regards, 

S G  

hey, you are right. but for airways that's totally unusable. The format is completely incorrect, I cannot modify it manually.

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hongye Zhang said:

hey, you are right. but for airways that's totally unusable. The format is completely incorrect, I cannot modify it manually.

Yes the format IAB gives you will be with Semicolon (;), so you can just load the data into sublime & remove the Semicolon (;). By this way you can have it in the ES Format. 

TBH I use IAB mainly only for Hold & other drawing purpose I don't use it to import NAVAID. For the NAVAID's such as Airway, FIXES, & VOR/NDB) I personally use SectED, it's quite simple & straightforward you can import the NAVDATA of any FIR you wish into the .sct through SectED.  

Edited by Sachin Gnath

Regards, 

S G

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sachin Gnath said:

Yes the format IAB gives will be with Semicolon (;), so you can just load the data it into sublime & remove the Semicolon (;). By this way you can have it in the ES Format. 

TBH I use IAB mainly only for Hold & other drawing purpose I don't use it to import NAVAID. For the NAVAID's such as Airway, FIXES, & VOR/NDB) I personally use SectED, it's quite simple & straightforward you can import the NAVDATA of any FIR you wish into the .sct through SectED.  

i got that! thanks!

Edited by Hongye Zhang

Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks both of you!

Edited by Hongye Zhang

• 1 year later...
Hongye Rudi Zhang
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, Miguel Frias said:

Hi. It's implemented:

<FIX> hold(026, l, 5)

026 is the heading

l, left turn

Hi @Miguel Frias maybe possible to add a turn radius? like default 5NM/90degrees, turn leg willbe 10NM/degrees