You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Port to Open for VATSIM?

Rich Heimlich

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

I'm having issues lately keeping VATSIM connected (I fly X-Plane with XSB of course) and wondered about VATSIM servers needing some sort of additional setup perhaps? I have the port forwarded for XSB.

Just today I lost connection several times and VATSpy noticed the issue as well so I don't think it's X-Plane or XSB.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What do you mean when you say VATSpy noticed the issue?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

VATSpy posted an error message about not being able to (trying to recall from memory) ... find the timestamp? and offered to switch servers. Doing so immediately fixed the issue. However, this happened a few times during the last flight.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

If VATSPY is giving you an error and you're getting disconnected, it's almost certainly related to your Internet connection in general.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

That's fine. I'm asking if there's anything else I could be doing to help out. Nothing more. I just want to be sure I'm doing all I can and not getting in the way by not giving VATSIM everything it needs.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Let me know the actual exact error from VATSpy ... might give some clues.

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

I will as soon as I see it again. One thing that's odd. It doesn't seem to do it when it's loaded all by itself (no X-Plane). We'll see.

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

Okay, I got the error yet again. This happened while my son was online playing League of Legends without any interruption. I also stay connected to VATSIM when this happens for voice chat. I just seem to lose the view of other planes and such.

Here's the specific error message:

The following error occurred while attempting to download data from data.vattastic.com:

Could not find data timestamp

x Try another server
o Keep existing data

Any ideas? And, dumb question, Vattastic? When did that happen?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That error basically means the data file downloaded from vattastic.com is corrupt. VATSpy looks for a line that contains the timestamp for when the data file was last updated, and that error means it cannot find the line.

I just downloaded the current data file from vattastic and it looks fine ... not sure what happened. Is it always that server that gives that error, or do the other data servers give the same error?

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

Ross, I'm not sure what server VATSpy uses by default. I just get the error and tell it to try another. Sometimes that does it. Other times, a bit later, it too has failed with the same message and option.

The reason it's become of interest to me is that, while in EF[Mod - Happy Thoughts] (and in the game) I notice EF[Mod - Happy Thoughts] has suddenly lost other traffic (and currently no easy way to get it back). I then realize I'm not seeing traffic I should be seeing from my cockpit according to VATSpy. Or, sometimes EF[Mod - Happy Thoughts] will have the traffic but I'm not seeing it from the cockpit. In both cases, when I ALT-TAB out to VATSpy, 100% of the time, there's that error.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VATSpy doesn't have a default ... it chooses one of the VATSIM data servers at random each time it refreshes.

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

Ah, now I get what you mean. You're saying there are other servers other than vattastic? I had no idea. Will keep an eye out for that too and report back.