You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Test Error?

Sam Thompson 924129

Sam Thompson 924129
Posted
Posted

I have a question reguarding my test results for the ATC Student possition:

Question #: 13: KJFK 181451Z 16008G14KT 10SM -RA FEW007 SCT014 BKN060 OVC130 20/17 A3000 RMK A02 RAB04 SLP 159 P0000 60001 T02000167 55003 What direction is the wind blowing?

Weight: 1

User's answer: To 160 degrees

Correct answer: From 160 degrees

Additional Notes: 3-3

But in the BASIC ATC STUDY GUID (http://vatusa.org/training/study_guides/bas3.htm) it says in section 3-3, " The first 3-digits is the direction". In the METAR you can see that the first 3 digets are 160 (the wind direction). I answered TO 160 DEGREES, I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume this means that the wind is blowing twords 160 degrees. As you can see the BASIC ATC STUDY GUID and the TEST disagree. Which is correct and did I get the question right or wrong?

Matt Hartley 949013
Posted
Posted

The test is right. Wind is always given by the direction it is coming from.

EDIT: after looking up the reference in the study guide, I see what you mean. It didn't make in impression on me when I read it because I already knew how wind is given in METARs (and all over aviation, far as I know). For those who don't know to begin with, though, it could be confusing. Maybe it would help to cross reference with the FAA material.

carrier_logo.gif

Sam Thompson 924129
Posted
Posted
The test is right. Wind is always given by the direction it is coming from.

EDIT: after looking up the reference in the study guide, I see what you mean. It didn't make in impression on me when I read it because I already knew how wind is given in METARs (and all over aviation, far as I know). For those who don't know to begin with, though, it could be confusing. Maybe it would help to cross reference with the FAA material.

Ok thanks.

Shouldn't the Guide be changed because when I started the test it specificly said that the Study Guid was a referance to use to study for the test, it shouldn't be giving out wrongs answers.

Matt Hartley 949013
Posted
Posted

Way above my paygrade, but from what I looked at I think you have a point. On the other hand, look at this way; you'll never forget how to read that part of a METAR. That's something, anyway. So, did you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test?

carrier_logo.gif

Norm Hare 907837
Posted
Posted

My guess is that whoever wrote the training material [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that everyone knows that posted wind directions are "FROM". Even the weather guessers on TV always state "winds are out of" during the reports. Still a good point though..we all know what happens when you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume!

Sam Thompson 924129
Posted
Posted
Way above my paygrade, but from what I looked at I think you have a point. On the other hand, look at this way; you'll never forget how to read that part of a METAR. That's something, anyway. So, did you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the test?

Yea, I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed.

Sam Thompson 924129
Posted
Posted
My guess is that whoever wrote the training material [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that everyone knows that posted wind directions are "FROM". Even the weather guessers on TV always state "winds are out of" during the reports. Still a good point though..we all know what happens when you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume!

Yes, I know what you mean, I thought it was from before I read the manual, then I thought it was TO because of the manual, like it said. But now I know that it is FROM.

But somone that didn't know that would be misslead by the manual, because it does say the oppiste of the test.