You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VPilot stuttering

Elvin Zhou 1132482

Elvin Zhou 1132482
Posted
Posted

It seems that Vpilot is hanging or stuttering while running , but that shouldn't happen since I'm guessing that my i7 Haswell shouldn't sweat running this application....I'm running Windows 8, do I need to put it into compatibility mode?

Also, it'd telling me UDP port creation failed. What does this mean?

1132482.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Matt Davies

• Ezio Cingolani 953405

• Marc Wheeler

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 21 posts

• Matt Davies

Matt Davies 14 posts

• Ezio Cingolani 953405

Ezio Cingolani 953405 8 posts

• Marc Wheeler

Marc Wheeler 6 posts

Popular Days

• May 2 2014

27 posts

• May 1 2014

17 posts

• May 3 2014

12 posts

• May 6 2014

9 posts

Duarte  Folgado 1106197
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Are you running FSX/P3D or did you just started vPilot for a quick test without start the simulator?

Duarte

Duarte Folgado

Instructor (I1) & Certified Pilot (P4)

Lisboa FIR Director (ACCPT3)

Portugal vACC -VATEUD - VATSIM

2.png1106197.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If the sim isn't running, then it'll pause every 10 seconds or so while it attempts to connect to the sim.

Regarding the UDP error, that means vPilot is trying to open the data port that's used to connect to voice servers. If it can't open the port, that means either that your anti-virus or firewall software is preventing it, or the port is already in use by another VATSIM client.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you used FSINN previously, double check your task bar, make sure FSFDT is not running still. that will cause the port issue mentioned above. happens with the other clients as well if FSFDT is still running

Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

Crazy stuttering of traffic here too. I've uninstalled FSINN just to make sure they weren't screwing with each other but even after a restart the aircraft are moving at around 0.5fps. It feels like the default Squawkbox refresh rate, but I can't find a way to increase it.

Cheers.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Matt, vPilot updates the position of other aircraft every time FSX draws a new frame. What is your frame rate?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, probably ... though a couple beta testers ran it networked without any problems. Could you do me a favor and try capping your framerate at 20 FPS to see if that smooths it out? 50 FPS might be causing too much SimConnect traffic over the network. (At least four SimConnect packets are sent for every aircraft for every frame FSX draws.)

Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

Already 1 step ahead of you chief, still stuttering

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Anything else consuming network traffic? Are you on wifi?

Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

Nosir, 200/200 net (not that makes a difference). Only thing thats running via SimConnect is this, haven't even tried it with ActiveSky yet.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Not sure if it is relevant, but at one point I had this issue (also running vPilot on a secondary PC) and I had antialiasing checked in FSX. Unchecking resolved the issue for me.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Matt, give Marc's suggestion a try if you haven't already.

Also, have you tried running vPilot on the FSX machine to see if it truly is a networking issue?

Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

Ok, the AA thing didn't work.

Running it on the FSX PC works fine, so it has to be a networking issue - I'm networking via SimConnect, I'm guessing thats how everyone is doing it?

Cheers for the fast responses, appreciate it.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

My secondary PC is Windows 8 and my FS PC is Windows 7 and have not had any issues.

Just for kicks... try disabling your antivirus on both machines and see if this helps.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

I literally have nothing installed that would interfere with it (antivirus etc). I run barebones so nothing.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Bit of a loss with this one.

One thing that comes to mine is that you have some background applications or services that may be running that could be interfering. Are non-essential services such as Windows Update, etc. stopped?

Are your running on a wired or wireless network? Any Netflix running in the household?

Is port forwarding on UPD port 3290 configured on your router?

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Another test in case it is not a network issue.

Write down your flight sim display & scenery settings then lower them to the bare minimums and see if you still get stutters.

If you don't, then gradually increase them until you start to see stutters and then adjust accordingly.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Matt Davies
Posted
Posted

It works fine on the main machine, so i've ruled out a performance issue - its definitely network. I'll talk with Ross and see if we can figure it out

Elvin Zhou 1132482
Posted
Posted

The original problem was solved by running the sim and then shutting down FSINN. Thanks for the fast response!

1132482.png

Panos Kottaridis
Posted
Posted

Firstly very good job, I would ask that while during takeoff the squwak mode is done automatically in Charlie, but during landing and leaving the runway should not be done automatically stand-by?

Thanks

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted
Firstly very good job, I would ask that while during takeoff the squwak mode is done automatically in Charlie, but during landing and leaving the runway should not be done automatically stand-by?

Thanks

There is a setting to automatically squawk charlie on takeoff, but this is disabled by default. You must turn it on.

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Stein-Ove Rud
Posted
Posted

Great work with this client

But, on Networked i also have very big stutters on other traffic, have open all doors to client in firewall etc. etc., client works like an charm, no trouble at all, model matching....excellent

If i use client on sim pc, no stutter at all, smooth as silk, so no performance problem, smooth on fps looked at 30 or unlimited, no difference.

I wish someone could find a solution to this problem.

Brgds

Stein-Ove Rud

Panos Kottaridis
Posted
Posted

Thanks

There is a setting to automatically squawk charlie on takeoff, but this is disabled by default. You must turn it on.

Yes at takeoff it worked for me,but my question was about landing and runway vacated it stays at Charlie and not returns to stand by?

Todd Malek
Posted
Posted

I, too, am getting stuttering with other aircraft, similar to that when connected with SB4.

I do still have SB4 installed on both FS and Sec. PC. Maybe a conflict with the two clients?

Otherwise great client!

Cheers,

Todd.

CXA557-2.jpg

VATSIM: P1