You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Trouble with Set Up

Ira Robinson

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

This is going to sound strange no doubt but when I open the program for the first time and go to the settings box there are no options showing on the bottom right as they appear in the docs. So I don't have an OKAY or APPLY or CANCEL button. Sim is running although that shouldn't matter I should think, and the activity box is locked to the top right of my screen as well - although that may be because I still have settings open.

Also, in the settings the Calibrate Mic button isn't highlighted, even though I have chosen my audio options. I don't see any of the FSInn buttons open so I don't believe they are. Any suggestions?

Ira

Ira Robinson

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

For the first issue, that's caused by having the Windows DPI setting (aka zoom) too high.

Let us know if, once you resolve that, if the second issue is resolved.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

Well that solved those issues. Of course now the type is so small I can't read anything and changing all of the screen resolutions is just making it worse. I can't believe I'm going to have to change the dpi to 100% just to file a flight plan and fly and then change it back to 135% again afterwards.

But thanks for the solution Don.

Ira Robinson

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

what the heck? are you running on a 640 x 480 monitor?

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

1680 x 1050 is the display with all of my icons on it and is the main menu display I guess.

Ira Robinson

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

1680 x 1050 is the display with all of my icons on it and is the main menu display I guess.

Oh, so you are running vPilot with FSX on that monitor - - trying to do both? You really only need to open vPilot to connect and file your flight plan. From there you can minimize it.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

Oh, so you are running vPilot with FSX on that monitor - - trying to do both? You really only need to open vPilot to connect and file your flight plan. From there you can minimize it.

Oh no. I am running vPilot on the same monitor that has my tool bar and icons. Thats 1680 x 1050.

I have three other monitors. I fly on my main monitor @ 1920 x 1080. Any flight related programs, FSinn for example and the separated windows from my aircraft are open on a third monitor set to 1680 x 1050. These are all the recommended settings by the way. My fourth monitor is what I use for email and web browsers and anything else while flying. This monitor is 1600 x 900.

But the main issue here isn't really when I am flying. The issue is that if I change the dpi to less than 135% I can't read anything on the screens.

Ira

Ira Robinson

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I guess I don't understand that then. I'm running it at default "dpi" whatever that means and everything is clearly visible. Do you have eyesight problems or something? I'm not trying to be a smart [Mod - Happy Thoughts], but it's clearly visible on my PC running normal settings.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
I guess I don't understand that then. I'm running it at default "dpi" whatever that means and everything is clearly visible. Do you have eyesight problems or something? I'm not trying to be a smart [Mod - Happy Thoughts], but it's clearly visible on my PC running normal settings.

No my eyes are fine, just a little older than most =lol=

Everything just comes up too small for me to read. Maybe I have a setting wrong somewherebut I have never been able to find it to change anything. So I guess I'll just have to change things when I fly.

But thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Ira

Ira Robinson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ira, could you lower the DPI while you are configuring vPilot, but then bump it back up when you're done? It's not like you have to enter the settings screen every time you fly ...

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
Ira, could you lower the DPI while you are configuring vPilot, but then bump it back up when you're done? It's not like you have to enter the settings screen every time you fly ...

Of course. I would just have to make the change to file the flight plan is all. If it has to be that way then that's the way it is. I am not really sure why I have this problem but I do and I have not yet figured out a solution.

It's just a bit of a pain because it throws everything off on the display. Now I guess I have a reason to play with the settings again and maybe come up with an answer.

Ira

Ira Robinson

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I'd love to see screenshots as something just doesn't sound right here...

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahh, I didn't realize it was affecting the flight plan form, too.

I'll do some research and see if there's a practical way to modify the vPilot UI so that it scales better on higher DPI settings.

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
I'd love to see screenshots as something just doesn't sound right here...

Screen shots of what? Not sure I know what you are looking for here? I'm down to 115% and now I can see the full pop boxes. I resized my icons again, a quick and easy thing i realize, but some of the programs are still smaller than I would like. For example, my web browsers tool bars have to be made larger now.

Ira

Ira Robinson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ira, what zoom level did you use prior to trying vPilot?

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
Ira, what zoom level did you use prior to trying vPilot?

If you mean the dpi it was set to 135%. Right nowit's at 115% and I'm getting used to the new screen sizes. It's not as bad as I remember though.

Ira Robinson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, thanks. When I get some time, I'm going to try reworking the layout of the settings and flight plan windows so that they're usable at that zoom level. (Hopefully at any zoom level.)

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
Okay, thanks. When I get some time, I'm going to try reworking the layout of the settings and flight plan windows so that they're usable at that zoom level. (Hopefully at any zoom level.)

Appreciate that Ross. Clearly though this isn't something people seem to be having a problem with so when you get to it you'll get to it. Hard to believe I'm the only one on VATSIM who may need stronger magnifiers but maybe I'm the only one willing to come out of the closet and admit it!

Ira

Ira Robinson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

A few other users have reported the same issue. They changed back to 100% zoom and considered it resolved. I guess they were fine with the smaller fonts. Could be they have a different size monitor or pixel density in the screen.

Kevin Jarvis
Posted
Posted

I'm having the same problem.

So I will be following this thread with anticipation.

I currently have all my settings at default.

Main monitors are set at 1280x1024.

Tried changing to various resolutions and dpi but to no avail.

KJ

FSELogo.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Kevin, setting the DPI to 100% has fixed it for everyone else. That doesn't help for you?

Kevin Jarvis
Posted
Posted

Sorry, real life pulled me away.

It appears that I did not log off/log in to reset the DPI when I had to run out. My apologies.

Now that I have, the GUI appears as it should.

Thanks Ross for a great client.

KJ

FSELogo.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The new version is now available which fixes the DPI/Zoom issue. The layout isn't quite perfect at all zoom levels, but it no longer cuts off the buttons and most of the text is no longer getting cut off. (Some text still gets truncated slightly at some zoom levels, but not at the common levels such as 125%.)

You should be prompted to download the new version when you run vPilot.

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
The new version is now available which fixes the DPI/Zoom issue. The layout isn't quite perfect at all zoom levels, but it no longer cuts off the buttons and most of the text is no longer getting cut off. (Some text still gets truncated slightly at some zoom levels, but not at the common levels such as 125%.)

You should be prompted to download the new version when you run vPilot.

Thanks Ross. Nice job.

Ira

Ira Robinson