You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

UT2 Livery issue

Herby GORE 1217546

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi,

First thanks for this great software. Very nice work

I gave it a first test yesterday and it worked smoothly.

I just have one issue with AI traffic. I have UT2 so I've downloaded the corresponding model matching rules. The aircrafts appears correctly but almost all of them are completely white. For instance, I parked next to an Air France plane yesterday and it was white, without livery. On the other hand, I saw a KLM plane earlier which was depicted normally with the correct livery.

How the liveries are chosen? Is it according to the call sign?

How can I make sure that my own plane is seen with the correct livery by other pilots? In SB, there was a list to pick up my livery from but I saw nothing like that in Vpilot.

Edited by Guest
1414406989.png1217546.png

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

vPilot uses your aircraft type code and callsign to display the correct model for others.

For example, if you are flying as DAL000 with an B738 then vPilot will look up the model matching rules to display a Delta B738.

Don't know about your UT2 issue as I haven't purchased it yet.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Liveries are chosen based on a combination of the callsign and aircraft type reported by the pilot. If you are seeing white aircraft, then that means there was no specific model matching rule found that matched the callsign prefix and aircraft type to a specific livery.

Have a read through the docs if you haven't already ... it helps clarify the model matching process:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/Docomeentation.aspx

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

mohamed abdellatef 1271346
Posted
Posted

vpilot dosent send the aircraft model information to the network until the pilot file the flight plan that's why most air traffic appears white and default model for vpilot

please take that into consideration in the next update

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
vpilot dosent send the aircraft model information to the network until the pilot file the flight plan that's why most air traffic appears white and default model for vpilot

please take that into consideration in the next update

That's incorrect ... vPilot sends the aircraft type whenever it is requested by another client.

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted

I went through the docomeentation but still don't understand why this AFR livery is not depicted. I'll open the debugging window next time I come accross this issue to see what's happening in the background.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

For troubleshooting purposes, perhaps try this:

1. Look at the callsign and aircraft type of the Air France plane.

2. Look at UT2 to see if that airline and model are supported within UT2. If so, go to the next step. If not, there's your answer; vPilot said, "Hey Air France doesn't fly an XXXX, and I couldn't find an Air France XXXX in any of the model matching rule sets that you prioritized below UT2 (e.g. WOAI, VIP, etc.), but I found a generic XXXX, so I'll just show you a white one."

3. Verify that you actually have a XXXX installed within FSX/P3D. If so, go to the next step. If not, there's your answer; vPilot said, "Hey, you selected a model matching rule set that told me to go to your FSX/P3D and find an Air France XXXX, but you don't have one. So then I went down all of the model matching rule sets that you prioritized below UT2 (e.g. WOAI, VIP, etc.), and I still couldn't find an Air France XXXX, but I found a generic XXXX, so I'll just show you a white one."

4. If you are sure you have an Air France XXXX but the vPilot UT2 didn't have that in it's model matching rule set, send a note to Ross so the .vmr file can be updated/corrected for the next release.

What you may find, in several cases, is that the other pilot logged on as an aircraft that Air France doesn't fly. There's probably no AI package (and therefore no model matching rule set) that will show someone logging on as an Air France CRJ2 as a CRJ2 in Air France colors.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted

Thanks Don for your answer.

I've just spent XXXXX hours on various airports to test the modele matching, using the (very nice) debug window.

First, when the matching is not correct, there is always a valid reason behind, easy to find out thanks to this debug tool.

I think I was expecting too much from the UT2 modele matching. A lot of frequent mismatch could be sorted out but it takes ages. One of the most frequent error I had was the B772 named B77L by too many pilots. Just to fix this one, it is necessary to add tens of lines in the UT2 .vmr file (one line per livery).

Another weird error I found is the DLH call sign (Lufthansa) not recognised at all. Here again, tens of new lines need to be created. Same problem with Thomson Airways...

I think that UT2 is far from being the perfect modele set for VATSIM. For instance, according to UT2, Lufthansa has no B777. I don't know in RW, but on VATSIM, I see a lot of them. To get around this problem, I made a rule to use the B744 instead.

The bottom line of this would be to use another modele set if I want a better match. Which one among those available offers the best result?

And I can share my edited .vmr file for UT2 if some are interested.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
One of the most frequent error I had was the B772 named B77L by too many pilots. Just to fix this one, it is necessary to add tens of lines in the UT2 .vmr file (one line per livery).

You shouldn't need to do this. The SimilarAircraftTypes.txt file lists B772 and B77L as similar types, so it'll use the B772 rule for any B77L it encounters, if there is no rule specifically for B77L.

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted
You shouldn't need to do this. The SimilarAircraftTypes.txt file lists B772 and B77L as similar types, so it'll use the B772 rule for any B77L it encounters, if there is no rule specifically for B77L.
I'm sure that I had to add such lines in the "Ultimate Traffic 2 Base Install.vmr" file:

to have the "B77L" correctly depicted.

EDIT:

Just made another test, just to find out that the line above doesn't change anything. The B77L are depicted like B772 even when I delete this line. So you're right, Ross, no need to do this.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a better modele set. UT2 does not have my favorite plane (the Concorde) and I love to do group flights with this one.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I just loaded up a test target, callsign BAW123 and type code B77L, using the unmodified UT2 rule set, and it picked the F1UT2_772.BA.BA as expected, because of the entry in SimilarAircraftTypes.txt that matches the B77L to the B772. I did not have to create any extra entries in the UT2 rule set.

Something else is going on in your setup that is causing this problem. Can you confirm that the SimilarAircraftTypes.txt file was installed? It should be here:

%localappdata%\vPilot

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted
Can you confirm that the SimilarAircraftTypes.txt file was installed? It should be here:

%localappdata%\vPilot

Yes... The file is there.

Actually, I edited my last post. After testing again, I found out that the B77L is depicted correctly.

The problem I had with this AFR B777 came from somewhere else. Hard to find the origin of the problem now that I don't encounter it anymore...