You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Running vPilot on a second networked computer? Please read!

Zachary Zalass 1205552

Zachary Zalass 1205552
Posted
Posted

Hi, I am currently attempting to set up vpilot on my remote pc for FSX. When I start vpilot and click anything, the program freezes for 30-45 seconds and is very slow. As a result, it is impossible to set up the program for vatsim use. This does not happen on fsinn.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz

3GB RAM

Windows 7 64bit

ATI Radeon

This pc is 8 years old, my old work pc. No program has ever been this slow and I ran FSX a few years ago without a problem.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Is FSX running on the other computer when you start vPilot and try to configure it?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Zachary Zalass 1205552
Posted
Posted

no but I'll try that

Zachary Zalass 1205552
Posted
Posted

FSX and wideclientfs are running and there is no difference at all. It is fast for about 5 seconds before it slows down. I have simconnect already set up so it should connect.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does vPilot work when installed on the same machine as FSX?

Zachary Zalass 1205552
Posted
Posted

Yes it does but I would prefer a remote pc running it.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I know that ... I just asked to rule out other problems ...

Sounds like SimConnect isn't configured right. vPilot doesn't know (or care) that you are running on a network. All it does it communicate with the local SimConnect library in order to send/receive info to/from FSX. If it works fine with vPilot running on the same machine as FSX, but it does not work when running vPilot on a remote machine, then the SimConnect network parameters are not configured right or something is blocking the SimConnect data from flowing between the two machines.

Zachary Zalass 1205552
Posted
Posted

Thank You, later I will try to fix simconnect to make it work and will give an update later.

Andrew Dixon 1073376
Posted
Posted

I have this same issue with vPilot on a networked setup. What I have discovered is the net work activity runs at 100% in spikes on the client machine. When this occurs vPilot is very very slow and the connection continually disconnects. At this time wideclient will not connect to FSX. I know this as my 2 computers are connected to the router via a switch and the activity can be observed by the activity lights. Same scenario FSInn and IVAP2 work flawlessly.

What seems to fix this issue is if I pull the Ethernet connection from the client computer and plug it back in the switch into a different socket. It doesn't matter which one just as long as it is disconnected and reconnected. The network activity drops, the lag disappears and wideclient connects straight away. If I shut down fsx and restart fsx again I have the same issue.

For me this is an issue that can be replicated time and time again.

Until this is fixed and the stuttering which I also suffer from, I cannot use this software.

Thanks

Andrew

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you are running vPilot on a computer other than the one you run FSX/P3D on, please let me know if the movement of other aircraft is smooth or not. Quite a few users are saying it is not, and a few are saying it is. I'm trying to get an idea of how many people this is affecting. So please let me know what you are experiencing, good or bad.

Thanks!

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

I'm running SB4 networked flawlessly now, will test vPilot asap and post my findings here as per your request.

And, thanks so much for the release and for your contribution Ross, I can't even imagine how many hours you've put in.

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Stefano Ricchiuti 1263673
Posted
Posted

Smooth as butter. Waaaay better than sb4 (which I used to have till today)

Just tested, connected through SimConnect.

Todd Malek
Posted
Posted

Hey Ross,

I can confirm that I am one of those who is experiencing stutters in a networked configuration. From my testing, it doesn't matter where I am in the sim, on the ground or in the air, all other aircraft are displaying the same characteristics. It also makes no difference of the number of other third party SimConnect applications running at one time, whether vPilot is the only app connected or if it's running concurrently with ASN, Aivlasoft EFB/Plan-G, FSRealTime, FSACARS etc. I realize some of those other apps use FSUIPC/WideFS over the network but, from what I hear, they all eventually talk to FSX through simconnect.

Let me know if there's anything you need to help with this.

Cheers!

Cheers,

Todd.

CXA557-2.jpg

VATSIM: P1

Stein-Ove Rud
Posted
Posted

Stutter on networked setup here also....

Stein-Ove

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Stutter on mine as well.

847924.png

Herby GORE 1217546
Posted
Posted

Nothing better or worse compared to SB. I would say that I see other aircrafts moving at about 10fps while my rig is running 30fps. On top of vpilot, I have FSC9 and AS2012 running on the networked computer.

1414406989.png1217546.png

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

Looks marginally better than SB4 on my setup, but still stuttering, if SB4 was on 10 FPS, vPilot is on 15 FPS.

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Morten and Herby, can you try running vPilot on the same computer as FSX and see if it is much smoother?

Marcelo Duran 1176670
Posted
Posted

I'm using SB4 on a networked configuration... no problems.

Installed vPilot today flawlessly... no issues with installation or connection, indeed.

Aircraft movements resembles SB4 stuttering... not better, not worse.

Regards. Duran.

Marcelo Duran

VATBRZ C1 - P2

VATSIM Supervisor

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Marcelo, would you be willing to install vPilot on your FSX machine and let me know if the aircraft movement is much smoother?

Marcelo Duran 1176670
Posted
Posted
Marcelo, would you be willing to install vPilot on your FSX machine and let me know if the aircraft movement is much smoother?

Hi Ross.

I just installed vPilot on FSX PC. It runs smooooooooooooth... beautiful... very different from SB4.

But the networked config stutters. No doubt! I've tried some changes at simconnect.cfg, simconnect.ini and simconnect.xml... No success, too.

Regards, Duran.

Marcelo Duran

VATBRZ C1 - P2

VATSIM Supervisor

Marcelo Duran 1176670
Posted
Posted

Hi again, Ross.

My original networked configuration is a wireless one.

I've just setup a cable one, to rule out the possibility of a bandwidth limitation on my wifi.

Unfortunately, I had no success... it still stutters. I went back to the wifi network.

Regards, Duran.

Marcelo Duran

VATBRZ C1 - P2

VATSIM Supervisor

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Might be interesting to get to know more about the PC specs of each one and graphic cards. There might be some speed factor that is key here.

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Todd Malek
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are the specs of both of my PC's.

FSX PC:

Intel i7 2600k OC 4.9GHz

XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling

Sabertooth P67 MB (Intel GB NIC)

16GB RAM

EVGA GTX580 Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ified Ultra 3GB

2xSamsung EVO 1TB SSD,1TB WD Black HD

Corsair 1200AX PS.

Win7

Sec. PC:

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB

16GB RAM

EVGA GTX460 1GB

Agility3 120GB SSD

500GB WD

Thermaltake Toughpower 650 Modular PS

Intel PCIx DualPort GB NIC

Win7

Network:

All wired Gigabit FullDuplex 9K JumboPackets enabled

Edited by Guest

Cheers,

Todd.

CXA557-2.jpg

VATSIM: P1

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ah, no wonder... That thing probably can't even get out of its way enough to run Notepad on Windows 3.1! Reminds me of my old 8086 machine with 5 1/4" floppies! LOL J/K!!

Remind me to ask you to build my next machine!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations