You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Updating fixes on sector files

Syam Haque 1161585

Syam Haque 1161585
Posted
Posted

I have been trying to update fixes on our sector files in the division. We use Euroscope and create most sector files using the Sected program. So far occasionally we update the fixes manually by opening up the .sct file and adding/modifying the fix by hand. I am sure there must be an easier, automated way to do this...

On Sected, I see an option under Tools -> Import from Level-D that has an Import Fixes option. But it is always greyed out (the other options import airways, runways, SIDs/STARs are not greyed out). Is there a way to enable that Import Fixes option? Or is there another automated method to update the fixes on sector files?

VATSIM Middle East

Syam Haque - 1161585

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted

It's very easy.

First check for a correct path to the Level-D database.

Then you have to create sub-field and jump onto it where you will be able to import these fixes.

Should you have any questions give me a call

VATRUS Division Director, Supervisor

RU-CEN_FSS - CIS Central Asia FSS ("Asia-Center")

Email: director(at)vatrus.info

Syam Haque 1161585
Posted
Posted
It's very easy.

Then you have to create sub-field and jump onto it where you will be able to import these fixes.

Thanks Evgeny! That has helped bring up the Import Fixes option. I did have the right folder pointed for Navdata, just was missing the sub-field. It seems we have to go through each Airway and then it gives the option "Import fixes inside [airway]." It does look time consuming going through each one if your sector file has alot of airways, but it seems to be the best way to go with a manual/automated method.

I was hoping there was a way to pick an area on the sector and import all the fixes inside that area in one go, but maybe I'm asking for too much

VATSIM Middle East

Syam Haque - 1161585

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted

The logic is very simple:

You create an area (it can be a huge FIR, like Oceanic etc) and do things INSIDE the area.

You can also make several areas separately and import data into each section.

A huge sector like mine (5 Central Asian countries) can be done in 5-7 minutes

Syam Haque 1161585
Posted
Posted

That is what we are doing currently. We have a sector file that we just want to modify, it has the area drawn out. We just wanted an easy way to import fixes and airways from the latest airacs. I'm not sure if there is a tutorial on SectEd available, but I have been learning it over the past 2 years.

As far as I can see, to import airways, you need to have fixes. And then it runs through each fix and creates airways that belong to them. To import fixes, it uses airways and you select an airway under "LOW AIRWAY" or "HIGH AIRWAY" and the option to "Import fixes inside [airway]" will show up. But then we're back in a circle...you need airways to import the fixes, and you need fixes to import the airways

There was one other program I've seen in the past by VATSAF, called ImportAirac that allowed you to retrieve fixes for a given area, using the PSS Airac file from Navigraph. However, I could not find a download link to ImportAirac to try that out.

VATSIM Middle East

Syam Haque - 1161585

Syam Haque 1161585
Posted
Posted

Actually, I've got it now

I had to create a blank SectEd file and then use the FSNavigator tool to import the airspace. Then I went and imported all the fixes inside that airspace, and finally all airways connecting them. Now it's all working perfectly. Thanks again Evgeny for all the help which guided me through it.

VATSIM Middle East

Syam Haque - 1161585

• 1 month later...
Genadi Chankov
Posted
Posted
It's very easy.

Hello, can you explain how I can create sub-field?

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted

Left click on the field, right click - create sub field, double click on the field.

Genadi Chankov
Posted
Posted

I found it but did it like old school. Thanks anyway.

• 2 years later...
Toby Rice 1245046
Posted
Posted

Left click on the field, right click - create sub field, double click on the field.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I could use some help.

What exactly is a field, and how do you select it, and create a sub-field?

Probably some easy explanation Forgive my ignorance.

Toby Rice

Air Traffic Manager, Instructor

Honolulu Control Facility

[email protected]

XA_HanM1TeKNh8YLQHHC2g.png

Evgeny Vygornitsky
Posted
Posted

Maybe Teamspeak or Skype will make sense? PM me please and we will arrange a meeting. My timezone is UTC+7

Toby Rice 1245046
Posted
Posted

Maybe Teamspeak or Skype will make sense? PM me please and we will arrange a meeting. My timezone is UTC+7

PM Sent. I'm in UTC-6, so this should be interesting

Toby Rice

Air Traffic Manager, Instructor

Honolulu Control Facility

[email protected]

XA_HanM1TeKNh8YLQHHC2g.png