You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

predefined taxi routes

Rene van Hove 1099291

Rene van Hove 1099291
Posted
Posted

The predefined taxi routes sound like a great feature for training purposes. On a big airport like EHAM (Amsterdam Schiphol) where I'm training ground controllers, I usually have to draw a lot of lines to make traffic taxi the correct way. The predefined routes would be extremely helpful.

But...

It'll take 5 people a week to define all those taxiways, not to mention all gates and parkings. Schiphol is huge and other airports, like Heathrow for example, have an even more complex layout.

Is there a tool available or coming soon for this? I'd be ok drawing some lines on a Google Earth map or something, but defining the whole complex network using notepad is not one of my big dreams

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I haven't tried this, but can you use the .sline function to grab the coordinates by clicking on the screen?

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Rene van Hove 1099291
Posted
Posted

That would indeed help getting a lot of coordinates, but the job of sorting them into the right taxiways, intersections and exits is still huge.

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

I have to admit I haven't even understood how to get started on these new features. Is there a quick start guide or something similar available?

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Rene van Hove 1099291
Posted
Posted

There's some basic info about the syntaxis in the Wiki, a nice tutorial/walkthrough for a very small airfield as an example would be nice.

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Rene,

Glad to see you're looking to do this for a larger airport. I have done the example files for Chisinau (bundled with the installation of ES 3.2) and I understand how difficult this can be.

First of all you need to decide how detailed do you want the taxi system to be drawn. If you are looking to use the visual tower simulator you are going to prefer creating very detailed taxi curves in order to have smooth accurate taxi. But if all you are going to use it for is for the simulator in ground radar mode there's no need to go that far out.

In the 2nd case creating the lines will not be as difficult as sorting them and writing the names. Creating the lines would be pretty easy with .sline or using the MANUAL taxi mode and copying the coordinates.

In my case I created very accurate taxi routes in a software called ArcGIS. I georeferenced multiple screenshots from top-down from Prepar3D with the scenery and I drew on top of them. But it is far too difficult to explain how ArcGIS works. I'm sure other similar software work too but be prepared to bang your head against the wall while you learn how it works.

Good luck and let me know how you decide to do it,

Eric

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

• 4 months later...
Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

Hi Eric,

where your example file can be found?

Thanks,

Pavel