You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PTT and Mic not working

Nick Demosthenous 1290258

Nick Demosthenous 1290258
Posted
Posted

Even though I set my PTT, and my mic is perfectly working on Skype, and I do NOT touch my vPilot settings, say 10 minutes after having vPilot minimized on ATC, my PTT setting disappears and is ineffective despite still being in the settings, making me choose a new mic and calibrating and wasting about 2 minutes each time I want to make a unique call to ATC. As you can see this is not convenient at all when flying, especially on finals with heavy traffic and this happens without anticipation.

Any solutions to this problem?

Thanks a bunch

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What do you mean when you say "my PTT setting disappears" ?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

I too have this problem, despite all the settings for the mic and PTT being setup i have no comms at all but I am on the network as I could be seen and not heard by ATC this morning. I went back to FSINN with exactly the same settings and can communicate without any problems. In vPilot when i push my PTT button i do get the buzzer as though it recognises that im transmitting but neither tx/rx illuminates on the panel.

Cheers

Paul

1226565.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Paul, the buzzer means that you aren't connected to a voice channel. Try opening the debug window and watching the messages that come through when you tune a controller's frequency. Might give some clues as to why you're not connecting to their voice channel.

Either the controller doesn't have a voice channel open, or something (antivirus or firewall) is blocking vPilot from connecting to the voice room.

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross I'll have a look at it with the debug window, are there any specific ports that need to be given access in the firewall? I have Avast antivirus if that helps.

1226565.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Check to see if it throws an error message about a UDP Port Creation failed. If so, check out the vPilot FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=64672

particularly the section:

Q: I keep getting an error message saying that UDP Port Creation Failed. It seems to be blocking my voice transmissions.

A: That means that either some other program is using the UDP port (e.g., FSInn, SquawkBox, VRC, etc.), or perhaps your antivirus/firewall is blocking the UDP port. Several members have suggested that Avira antivirus is particularly "aggressive" in blocking the UDP port. You will need to either close conflicting applications and/or ensure your antivirus/firewall will accommodate vPilot.

One way to troubleshoot/confirm that it's the antivirus program is to temporarily disable the antivirus program, load vPilot, and try to communicate on the network. If it works, chances are pretty good that it's an aggressive antivirus filter that you'll need to configure to allow vPilot. Alternatively you could troubleshoot by directly applying "the fix". I don't use Avast, but if I remember correctly, perhaps right click on the Avast icon in the Windows task bar, select Program Settings > Exclusions and exclude vPilot. (If that's not correct, try the Avast docomeentation or a web search.)

Let us know if any of this helps.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Thanks Don

1226565.png

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Hi Don/Ross,

Turned off my Avast system so no firewall or antivirus, configured the wireless hub to allow udp3290 for vPilot(not sure if this is required but had it set for FSINN). this is the log generated this morning:-

[10:18:51.781] Connected to simulator

[10:18:51.795] Transponder mode C state changed: False

[10:18:51.798] Simulator started

[10:18:51.801] Radio state changed

[10:18:51.808] vPilot version 1.0.5240.39407

[10:18:51.865] Version check p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed

[10:18:53.129] Model matching rule set download complete

[10:19:02.149] Connected to network

[10:19:02.188] Logged in to network

[10:19:02.231] Text message received from SERVER: By using your VATSIM [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned identification number on this server you

[10:19:02.237] Text message received from SERVER: hereby agree to the terms of the VATSIM Code of Regulations and the

[10:19:02.253] Text message received from SERVER: VATSIM User Agreement and the VATSIM Code of Conduct which may be viewed

[10:19:02.258] Text message received from SERVER: at http://www.vatsim.net/network/docs/

[10:19:02.262] Text message received from SERVER: All logins are tracked and identification numbers are recorded.

[10:19:02.267] Text message received from SERVER: Users must enter their real full first names and surnames when logging

[10:19:02.271] Text message received from SERVER: onto any of the VATSIM.net servers.

[10:19:02.363] Received capabilities request from unknown callsign: EDDW_TWR - sending CAPS

[10:19:02.384] Received capabilities request from unknown callsign: DLH5TN - sending CAPS

[10:19:02.455] Received capabilities request from unknown callsign: EDWW_B_CTR - sending CAPS

[10:19:03.445] Aircraft discovered: DLH5TN - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info

[10:19:03.877] Model match failure - Callsign: DLH5TN - TypeCode: ZZZZ

[10:19:05.853] Discovered controller: EDWW_B_CTR

[10:19:05.899] Valid ATC flag for controller EDWW_B_CTR received: True

[10:19:06.379] Voice URL received: EDWW_B_CTR voice1.vatsim-germany.org/edww_b_ctr

[10:19:06.382] Controller info received: EDWW_B_CTR

[10:19:08.446] Aircraft added to sim: DLH5TN

[10:19:08.669] Discovered controller: EDDW_TWR

[10:19:08.670] Discovered controller: EDDW_ATIS

[10:19:08.711] Valid ATC flag for controller EDDW_TWR received: True

[10:19:08.720] Valid ATC flag for controller EDDW_ATIS received: True

[10:19:08.930] Voice URL received: EDDW_TWR voice2.vacc-sag.org/eddw_twr

[10:19:08.933] Voice URL received: EDDW_ATIS voice1.vacc-sag.org/eddw_atis

[10:19:08.935] Controller info received: EDDW_ATIS

[10:19:08.936] Controller info received: EDDW_TWR

[10:19:17.052] Push to talk state changed: True

[10:19:17.425] Push to talk state changed: False

[10:19:20.094] Push to talk state changed: True

[10:19:24.258] Push to talk state changed: False

still got the buzzer and no TxRx lights.

Not sure what else i can do now?

Thanks

Paul

1226565.png

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Just spoken (via FSINN) with the controller at Bremen Twr who confirms that he could see me and that i was in his voice channel. So im guessing it has to be something on my machine causing the problem. Going to reinstall vPilot and see if that changes anything. Its raining outside anyway

1226565.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't see anything in the debug log you pasted where vPilot is trying to join the Bremen tower voice channel. Are you sure you had his frequency tuned? Did it show his frequency in the vPilot window? Were both the TX and RX letters white (instead of gray)? Was the frequency light blue?

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

The RxTx lights were greyed out no colour at all at any time. I had the frequency tuned on comm1 ( using vrs f18) I got the initial green txt banner in fsx to say I'd got his info, Bremen twr confirmed I was on/in his voice channel. Without changing any settings in the F18 after shutting down vPilot and then opening FSINN I could communicate as normal once connected.

I checked to see if it was a port issue ie with FSINN active when vPilot loads it does show a port fault. With no FSINN it connects as usual as in the above log so I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming it has the correct access to the port. What ports does it require? I configured UDP3290 for it are there any others?

Thanks

Paul

1226565.png

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Sorry forgot to add that I had Bremen Ctr, Bremen Twr and Atis frequencies in white under the relative tabs in the ATC window.

1226565.png

Paul  Gray 1226565
Posted
Posted

Tested with Aerosoft's katana4x this morning with Melbourne App and no problems with comms, went back in with the VRS F18 and no comms but i can txt the controller. Off to look at the VRS forum now as i believe that's where the problem lies.

Paul

1226565.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Check to make sure your avionics power is on. vPilot won't connect without it.

• 2 years later...
Odias Ukcamal 1371340
Posted
Posted

this is happening with me aswell when i go to the audio i select my mic i set a push to talk and then when i calibrate my mic i talk normaly for the bit that you have to talk normally but i do not hear it relpy back what i said and the squalch was 0.42 and it said voice drowned out and i tested my mic on skype and it worked perfectly when im on atc frequency the blue light pops up in the TX but they cant here me any help plz

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Most common cause for this problem is selecting the wrong audio device (microphone) in vPilot. First, verify you have selected the proper audio device (mic) in vPilot.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations