You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot open beta for network stuttering fix available

Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you use vPilot over a network and you are experiencing jerky movement of aircraft, please try the new version I put up for download:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/DownloadBeta.aspx

This version is an open beta test version, meaning it has not been thoroughly tested by the internal beta team. I've done basic testing with it on my home network, but that's it. So don't be surprised if there are some new bugs.

To make the smooth aircraft movement work over a network, you need to install this version on BOTH the vPilot computer and the FSX computer. Then, on the FSX computer, run JUST the TrafficProxy program that is installed with this new version. (Don't run the main vPilot program on the FSX computer.) You'll see a shortcut in your Start Menu Programs List. (Or run the TrafficProxy.exe that you see in the vPilot install folder, %LOCALAPPDATA%\vPilot. Then, run JUST the main vPilot program on the remote computer as usual.

When you run the TrafficProxy on the FSX machine, a small box will appear and give you some feedback messages about connecting to the simulator, discovering aircraft, etc. The main vPilot window on the remote computer will show some additional messages about detecting when the TrafficProxy is connected or disconnected.

With the TrafficProxy running on the FSX machine, it will handle the smooth position updates for your aircraft, and the main vPilot window on the remote machine will still handle everything else, including creating the aircraft, model matching, voice, chat, filing flight plans, etc.

Also, if you press CTRL-S with the TrafficProxy window active, you'll see a setup window where you can set up a PTT keyboard key or joystick button on the FSX machine. The PTT button/key presses will be sent to the main vPilot window on the remote computer. This way you can set up PTT on the FSX machine even though vPilot is running remotely, without using FSUIPC and WideFS to send the button/key press across the network. The headset still needs to be plugged into the machine running the main vPilot window.

Note that the TrafficProxy and main vPilot window communicate with each other via SimConnect client data calls, which is why there is no need to configure the TrafficProxy with the IP of the vPilot machine.

This version also fixes the issue where vPilot's user interface will lock up when it tries to connect to FSX over a network and FSX isn't running or your SimConnect.cfg file isn't set up right.

Here are some other updates in this open beta version:

- 0002080: Establish SimConnect connection on background thread.

- 0002063: Increase radio volume.

- 0002051: Implement network traffic proxy in order to achieve smooth aircraft movement in networked configuration.

- 0002076: Increase brightness of non-directed radio text messages.

- 0002071: Improve landing light logic.

- 0002077: Change wording of missing model error to be more descriptive.

- 0002074: Retain existing values when loading a flight plan that omits some values.

- 0002066: Add minimize button.

Network users, please give this a try and respond here with your results.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Wow Ross! That is a lot of work.

Will definitely test it and thanks for the fix.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

I noticed one bug with the new version. When an aircraft takes off and banks left, the aircraft does turn left, but the model banks right.

Let me know what additional information you need.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Is that with the TrafficProxy running or without?

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

With the traffic proxy running.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, I think I know what's causing that ... fix coming soon.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

FYI, that may not be anything introduced with the new version. A few ZLA controllers noted seeing this exact behavior on previous versions. (Not sure what the common denominator is/was... don't think I saw it, but maybe I just wasn't paying much attention.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, that's probably the case, because the thing that I thought might cause that, isn't really a problem. So most likely this issue has existed before this beta version.

Marc:

Did you see it with more than one aircraft?

Do you remember any callsigns?

Did you happen to have network traffic logging going at the time?

Todd Malek
Posted
Posted

The new client is working great! No more stutters! Thanks!

I too am seeing the turn and opposite bank issue. So far I noticed it with our VA model set (CXAXXX call-signs) as we just did our usual Friday event. Unfortunately I did not have any logging running at the time.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Todd.

CXA557-2.jpg

VATSIM: P1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Todd and Marc, I just saw the issue happen myself at KPIT ... I checked, and the other pilot is running vPilot (not the beta version.) Any idea if the aircraft you saw this happen with were using vPilot? I imagine so.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Confirmed they were using vPilot. It was Todd was the aircraft that I noticed that had the banking issue.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've checked a half a dozen aircraft at PIT tonight and they're all exhibiting the issue, and they're all using vPilot. I'm trying to find one that's not using vPilot and is airborne and turning, but so far everyone is using vPilot, which is great.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

It's starting to sound like a "D'oh! So left is negative..." is coming on from a developer of a certain pilot client, perhaps?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahem ... I blame the beta testers for not catching this during beta.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is fixed ... I'll roll out a new version soon.

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

Ross great work

Network now smooth as

I too have noticed the opposite lock syndrome..acft banks right..model banks left. ans this was before traffic proxy

One thing I have noticed so far with traffic proxy is that occasionally the Ai traffic appears to just stop or the sim freeze momentarily then continue on smmmmmooootthhllyyy

Regards

Rob

Regards

Rob

P1/P2/P3 /C3/ VATAME1 (retired)

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Ross,

great job....installed right now and made a quick test. Aircraft movement on the ground is smooth as silk. Didn't have the time for a full test over an entire flight. I'll do it later on today and report back.

Thanks a lot..!

Ciao

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
One thing I have noticed so far with traffic proxy is that occasionally the Ai traffic appears to just stop or the sim freeze momentarily then continue on smmmmmooootthhllyyy

That usually indicates that there is some internet lag in the position updates coming from the aircraft. It'll happen with or without the proxy.

However, one thing that you will only see with the proxy is a 5 second pause in the aircraft's movement if you start the proxy after you're already connected with planes in the air. That pause happens when the proxy "takes over" from the main vPilot window to handle aircraft position smoothing. Normally you won't see this because normally you'll have the proxy running already when you connect to VATSIM.

Robert Grant
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross..Ill keep an eye on it.

Regards

Rob

P1/P2/P3 /C3/ VATAME1 (retired)

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross, works great now with the proxy!

Cheers,

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I tested the Beta release today on an EGKK-LGTS flight. AI traffic was very very smooth (very well done...!). However, I had an OOM crash almost at the end of the flight more than three hours since departure. I don't know if it may be somehow related to the new Beta installation on the main PC, however I hadn't had OOM for ages since today and it seems just more than a coincidence.

What's your thoughts on this ?

Regards

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
What's your thoughts on this ?

I don't see how it could be related, but who knows ... FSX is a finicky beast.

I would suggest you keep trying and if it keeps happening, try running an older version (if you can handle the stuttering movement) and see if it happens with an older version.

Morten Steen
Posted
Posted

I haven't noticed any change in my VAS usage after starting to use the proxy.

morten_steen_zpsbqpwg3mb.png

Marcelo Duran 1176670
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross.

I 've just installed the new beta version.

Aircrafts position updates are smoooooooooth!!!!

I also noticed the opposite bank/turn direction issue... a FDX (mapped to VIP texture) and a VIR (mapped to a default A321).

Regards. Duran.

Marcelo Duran

VATBRZ C1 - P2

VATSIM Supervisor

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The opposite bank issue has been there since the start of the closed beta ... just didn't get caught. Only happens if the other pilot is also using vPilot. I have fixed it and will release a new version soon. Just want to give the open beta a bit more time to run.