You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Setting files

Merik Nanish 1184142

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

This is long time question of mine which I always forgot to ask; unfortunately there is no docomeentation on this on the wiki either:

1) What are the different settings files used for? We have SettingsfilesFP, SettingsfileDEP, etc. When do each of these come into play?

2) How can I add comments inside setting files? Does starting a line with ; mark it as a comment?

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

I can only give an answer to your first question. The different setting files are used to save information about the different lists in ES, which columns are displayed, how wide they are, ...

There are also files for saving your settings for the tags, the symbols and some general information. Actually you can say, all settings you can change in ES somehow are saved in these files making it very easy to move to another computer/installation.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

The idea behind the multiple settings files is that you may want to use ES in different scenarios. You build up different profiles for that. Many things are different, but some items are the same. Then you may the same items to a common settings file and share it between the profiles.

I strongly suggest not to edit the settings file manually. You have many dialogs for that.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

I have to clarify my question then: is there a way to know which setting file controls which dialog? I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the one ending with DEP is for departure list, for exmaple, but is that correct? Do you have a list of which file controls what?

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

I have to clarify my previous answer because I realized that there can be a different number of files containing the settings depending on the distributor (vACC/ARTCC). In our distribution in Switzerland, we have 12 different setting files, each responsible for a specific part. I try to give you a list here:

ARR - Arrival List

DEP - Departure List

FP - Flightplan List

m_ - General (Screen) Settings

PLUGINS - Plugins

PROFILE - Saved profile settings

SEL - Sector Exit List

SIL - Sector Inbound List

SYMBOLOGY - Symobology settings

TAGS - Different tag settings/compositions

VOICE - Voice Channel settings

More or less every of this parts is closed with the statement END.

Hope that helps.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Note however that the file names are not fixed and are chosen by whoever made the files. You could very well name it "Barack Hussein Obama.txt" and it couldn't care less. So you need to ask whoever you procured those files from.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director