You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VF&R Adventure #14 - ORBX NCA/Yosemite [June 7, 2014]

Lance Williams

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted (edited)

vf&r_logo2-400.png

Often on Saturday nights, and after flying our favorite heavy VA aircraft until the FAA says we need a break, a few of us jump into our favorite GA aircraft for a little VF&R fun and relaxation! We have typically conducted these flights on private servers, only posting the details on our VA forum, but thought, why not invite any one and everyone to join in on the adventures!

So with that, we would like to invite all VATSIM members who are interested and available to join us for our next adventure on Saturday, June 7, 2014, departing at 23:00 Zulu (7:00 PM EDT). and flying on VATSIM. We normally stick to areas with nice scenery and this trek will be no different as we spend time exploring the ORBX Northern California region. Obviously this scenery is not a requirement to join as all airports are available in stock FS9/FSX/P3D or xPlane scenery, so come one, come all!

Additionally for this trip, we will be celebrating the release of the A2A Cherokee by flying it (I'll be in the A2A 172) or any aircraft that cruises in the 120 knot range. As was said above in regards to scenery, the A2A is certainly not a requirement. All GA aircraft enthusiasts are welcome to join us. We just ask that you find something that is slower than the space shuttle and faster than my typical rush our commute.

Ready to join us then? Well alrighty! Let's get to the details, shall we...

I saw this route in the AVSIM forums and have borrowed it for this trek, making two small modifications. So with that said our ORBX Northern California VF&R Adventure will depart Monterey Regional Airport (KMRY), fly up the coast for our first stop and then begin heading east over the coastal range, into the central valley and finally making our way over the Sierra Nevadas, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing just south of the Ansel Adams Wilderness Area and north of the John Muir Wilderness Area before descending to Mammoth Yosemite Airport (KMMH).

There are a total of six (6) stops on this adventure with a couple short fields and some mountain dodging on the the final leg. Should we arrive and KMMH and relized we haven't had enough of an adventure yet, we will decide on more stops, announcing them in teamspeak (teamspeak connection details below).

Please keep in mind that Monterey is a controlled airport in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C airspace. If ATC is on, you will need to request a VFR departure to the north and stay in contact with ATC until out of the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C. If it's just a busy center controller, he may leave us to our own devices. If that's the case, I will let everyone know.

VF&R Adventure #14 - ORBX NCA/Yosemite

vfr14-600.jpg

SkyVector Sectional Route...

Date: Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wheels Up: 23:00z (7:00 PM EDT)

Suggested Scenery: ORBX Northern California (NCA)

Suggested Aircraft: A2A Cherokke or C172 or similar aircraft (I'll be in the 172)

Route/Stops: KMRY, KWVI, 9CL2, KLSN, KMPI 5CL9, KMMH

Distance: 193 nm

Shortest / Longest Runways: 2000 ft / 7616 ft

Teamspeak:

Teamspeak P[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word: vfr

Plan on cruise speeds between 100 - 120 IAS.

Please join Teamspeak if you have it as it helps facilitate communication.  Teamspeak is also where we cordinate our next leg departures. We will plan on monitoring 122.75 (if an admin or sup has a better frequency suggestion, please let me know) text chat frequency for those that are unable to join the teamspeak server, however we can not guarentee we will always be able or remember to announce our intentions there. All communication will take place on teamspeak. We have an 18+ stance in terms of language on teamspeak, so if you don't want to occasionally hear colorful language, please keep that in mind. Or if you don't want other's in your household to hear it, plan on using headphones. We only have one main rule and that is "No smoking within 8 hours and no drinking within 50 ft of the airplane"

This is ORBX country so if you have their Northern California scenery you will be enjoying this trip and all of the wonderful features ORBX brings. Don't worry if you don't - - it's still a fun trek through the mountains, valley's, short strips and long runways, with stops along the way to watch your fellow VF&R'ers screw up their landings.

Jump on Teamspeak by 22:50 zulu if you can so we can be ready to depart by 23:00 zulu.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reply or send me a message. We hope to see you on Saturday, June 7th for the adventure!

Edited by Guest

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

Be there with bells on.

Just picked up the A2A PA28 for this. Looking forward to some olde skool VEE EFF and ARRRR..

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder that we will be now departing on this adventure this coming Saturday, June 7th. We The area is amazing looking and we'll have some wonderful aircraft to enjoy it in.

All are welcome to join us, departing KMRY at 23:00 Zulu.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

What day is it? What day is it? Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike!

Counting down the hours now until some Cherokee fun in NCA!

Teamspeak IP will be provided Saturday morning as it's going to change between now and then. I'll post it here, some come have a look here before joining us at KMRY!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tomorrow's forecast is looking SPECTACULAR for some VEE EFF and ARREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Clear skies and HOT temps await us for our adventure tomorrow!

Teamspeak IP is 69.137.45.143 with pw of vfr, which again will be used to coordinate departures and arrivals. Text CTAF will be monitored as well on 122.75.

We hope to see you out in your shiny new a2a Cherokee, 172 or any other equivalent GA aircraft tomorrow at 23:00 Zulu!

Edited by Guest

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Chris Smith
Posted
Posted

Look forward to it!

Chris Smith

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at http://www.ndbair.com

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Sunshine and cocktails for all!!!

Departure time, 23:00 Zulu TODAY! Teamspeak is running, come join the fun.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Just under an hour before the first departure. Pre-Flights underway now...

060714-1.jpg

All welcome to join us - - just login to VATSIm in your favorite GA at KMRY.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

I'm a little late with this, but wanted to thank those that joined us Saturday. The weather was perfect and the flight was great with good times had by all.

I promise to take more screenshots on the next one though...

The next flight may be as soon as this Saturday, but most likely the following to give me time to prepare it and post it here.

Thanks again for coming out!

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Maybe I missed something... but what exactly is VF&R and how is it different from VFR?

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
Maybe I missed something... but what exactly is VF&R and how is it different from VFR?

Join us on this coming Saturday's and you'll see...

I'll be posting flight info by tomorrow in this forum.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Alec Stelloh 969122
Posted
Posted

I plan on attending this Saturday, Cant wait for the flight info!

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
I plan on attending this Saturday, Cant wait for the flight info!

Glad to have you join us Alex. Flight info posted: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=65453

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg