You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Screen painting issue

Mark Taylor 1268798

Mark Taylor 1268798
Posted
Posted

This is an unusual problem that I am having, and it takes a little explanation. In a nutshell some programs are not painted to the screen within the outline of vPilot. Follow this...

FSX is started.

vPilot is started and connected.

Acars is started.

Flight begins. vPilot is in the background. Acars is minimized. FSX is on top.

Vatspy is started. When it displays on the screen on top of FSX, within the boundaries of vPilot, or where vPilot would be, Vatspy does not display. FSX can be seen in that area. vPilot is still under FSX but it seems to be preventing Vatspy from displaying at that spot.

Minimize Vatspy and bring Acars back up to normal, and Acars has a 'cut out' place matching where vPilot would be, and FAX is shown in the area.

All the time vPilot is behind FSX. All works normal. Just irritating to have to move the programs (which does not repaint the area.) Then I have to minimize then restore the program so that I can see the area.

Any clues to fix this issue? (No, not really wanting to bother with a screenshot just yet. Not that much of a nuisance yet.)

Mark

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

I have the same problem...but it doesn't affect any usability.

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted
This is an unusual problem that I am having, and it takes a little explanation. In a nutshell some programs are not painted to the screen within the outline of vPilot. Follow this...

FSX is started.

vPilot is started and connected.

Acars is started.

Flight begins. vPilot is in the background. Acars is minimized. FSX is on top.

Vatspy is started. When it displays on the screen on top of FSX, within the boundaries of vPilot, or where vPilot would be, Vatspy does not display. FSX can be seen in that area. vPilot is still under FSX but it seems to be preventing Vatspy from displaying at that spot.

Minimize Vatspy and bring Acars back up to normal, and Acars has a 'cut out' place matching where vPilot would be, and FAX is shown in the area.

All the time vPilot is behind FSX. All works normal. Just irritating to have to move the programs (which does not repaint the area.) Then I have to minimize then restore the program so that I can see the area.

Any clues to fix this issue? (No, not really wanting to bother with a screenshot just yet. Not that much of a nuisance yet.)

Mark

If I'm understanding correctly, that sounds like a common issue with FSX and Windows. Minimize FSX (don't just tab out) and all should be well.

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Mark Taylor 1268798
Posted
Posted

If it is an FXS/Windows issue then why did the issue only start occurring while using vPilot. Squawkbox does not and never has been in use when this has happened. Only when vPilot is used.

True enough there are workarounds and it is a mere aggravation and the program works as intended. It would just be nice to be able to fly without this anomaly.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Mark, when you say "Acars", what program are you referring to?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Just in case it helps with troubleshooting, I've tried several times to replicate this problem but cannot. I use kACARS. I wonder if it could be graphics card dependent?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Mark Taylor 1268798
Posted
Posted

In my case it is Virtual UA Acars. I think Don is right. It probably is related to the specific graphics card.