You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot chat

Philip McNiel 1282687

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

In view of the necessity of chat (for use on UNICOM frequencies, etc.), is there a way to make the vPilot chat tool show up when FSX is in full screen mode? One thing I prefer about FSInn (you know, the one that likes to ignore WOAI models and make everyone into a house-colors Boeing?) is that it gives me the option of showing a mini-control panel off in the corner, where it doesn't block much of the screen, where the "chat" button is always available for me to temporarily bring up chat without minimizing FSX (which is a pain to re-maximize without giving me a black screen--I know about the workaround with the Task Manager, but it's still a pain). I also like how it flashes to tell me when someone else says something. Is there anything like this in vPilot?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, vPilot runs outside of FSX so it can't be visible when FSX is full screen.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

So did its developers [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that pilots wouldn't need to be able to see the chat tool, or that everyone would be able to network two computers so that one of them could run vPilot?

Seems like the only workarounds for this would be to either a) minimize the flight simulator every time you need to say something via UNICOM or check whether anyone else has said anything (thus meaning that you have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and start the Task Manager to use the "Switch To" button to bring FSX back up), or b) use voice instead of chat on the UNICOM frequencies (a big no-no, I'm told, although I still use voice, once I've already sent the chat message, purely for the sake of realism).

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
So did its developers [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that pilots wouldn't need to be able to see the chat tool, or that everyone would be able to network two computers so that one of them could run vPilot?

No, the developer (me) made no such [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption. Rather, vPilot is intended for users running FSX in a configuration other than single computer full screen mode. In other words, it is intended for users running windowed mode, multi-monitor, or multi-computer setups.

If you run a single computer with FSX in full screen mode, then vPilot is not the client for you.

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

If you run a single computer with FSX in full screen mode, then vPilot is not the client for you.

That's a little disappointing, since FSInn doesn't seem to realize that I have any WoAI packages installed (That's a situation I mentioned in the FSInn forums.) Anyway, kudos to you for achieving the model-matching success I've never been able to find elsewhere! I'll just use vPilot for situations where there's ATC coverage, so that I don't have to read the chat

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I'll just use vPilot for situations where there's ATC coverage, so that I don't have to read the chat

There is an option to have vPilot send any incoming text radio messages (or private messages) to FSX where they will appear across the top of the FSX window, similar to how FSX METAR text is shown. Might be helpful for you. You still have to switch to vPilot if you want to respond, of course.

Philip McNiel 1282687
Posted
Posted

There is an option to have vPilot send any incoming text radio messages (or private messages) to FSX where they will appear across the top of the FSX window, similar to how FSX METAR text is shown. Might be helpful for you. You still have to switch to vPilot if you want to respond, of course.

Thanks for letting me know about that!

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I'll just use vPilot for situations where there's ATC coverage, so that I don't have to read the chat

Careful there; there's no obligation for controllers to use voice, even if they used it initially.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Maybe you could test window-mode on a flight or two. I much prefer it, wether I use one or two monitors. It just makes it easier to pop in and out, find charts, check servinfo/vatspy, watch a series, use vPilot, browse, etc.