You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
PLEASE READ - Webmaster Support Forum
This forum will be retired in the near future. Please direct all queries to our dedicated GitHub support page https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/discussions 
Here you can find documentation on our services and we are continuing to migrate pertinent information into the Wiki pages https://github.com/vatsimnetwork/developer-info/wiki

Getting my Live Credentials

Kieran Hardern

Kieran Hardern
Posted
Posted

Please utilise the demo system to test the integration of your website, not the live version. That's what it's there for and it means we won't mind as much if you send it lots of requests while you're checking things work

Here is a list of the topics that outline the steps prior to getting live credentials set up: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=64911

Once you have got it working with the demo system, feel free to sign up your website to the live system. You can do this through the 'Request New Site' option in the SSO menu. Please take some care in filling out the details and reading the instructions. Signing up requires confirmation from us before your account is activated, therefore putting incorrect details will probably delay you going live. I've outlined the steps here:

Email

We need a primary contact email for your website. Any communication from us will come via this address (so it's important it's active). Notifications about your account will also come to this address.

You can choose to use your personal email (i.e. your VATSIM-registered email on your account), or confirm another. Follow the instructions and pick which works best.

Site Details

The remaining sign up is relatively self-explanatory, so I won't spend too long writing about it. In several cases hovering over the field names will bring up tooltips with information if you're unsure. Please be careful of the following:

• As far as practical, you should get the head of your organisation to sign up for your credentials. There is the opportunity to grant access to other members immediately after sign-up, so developers can handle any future steps. If you are a VATSIM entity and we don't recognise you as the head of that organisation (e.g. a Division and you aren't the Division or Region Director), then we probably won't approve your account.
  • Your Organisation Name should be clear to the member what your site is. Please therefore avoid acronyms and write things out in full. For example: "Some Name ARTCC" or "VATSIM XYZ Division" instead of just "ZXY" or "VATXYZ". Remember that not everyone logging into your site will understand your acronyms (especially new/foreign members) and will be asked to check the name corresponds to the site they are trying to log in to. If your name is confusing, they may well cancel.
  • The IP address must correspond to your web server. You can add more than one if you need, but only approved IPs will allow OAuth requests on your account.

The time it will take us to approve a site may vary. You will get an email if/when it is and you can log in to view the site details at any point.

After Submit

After you submit, you can grant people access to the system, request new authorised IPs and change your authentication details via the 'My SSO Sites' page. If you are using RSA as your method, you can add your RSA key through this section.

Here is one of my previous posts explaining how to generate an openssl RSA key, for those not familiar:

If using RSA-SHA1 as your authentication method, you require an openssl keypair. SSH keys generated using RSA won't work.

For quick reference:

Generate a 2048 bit RSA key and save in current location as keyname.pem

openssl genrsa -out keyname.pem 2048

Extract the public key from the private key and save as keyname.pub

openssl rsa -in keyname.pem -pubout > keyname.pub

• Zach Biesse-Fitton unpinned this topic