You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

WALLOP!!......Supervisors going to the VATUSA Convention

William Alderson 846320

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

I need a Supervisor, who will also be at the VATUSA Convention, to help me with my presentation.

What I'd like to do is "walk" people through a typical diciplinary proccess, starting with the Sup, then going to DCRM, and then the RCRP member.

I have already lined-up David Klain (one of the VATNA RCRP members).

If you are interested, please contact me at: usa-dcrm(at)vatsim.net .

Thanks for your time....

Bill Alderson

Mark Tomassoni 813617
Posted
Posted

Bill, been trying to become a sup, still waiting for my turn. I will be there, looking forward to finally meet you.

Mark Tom[Mod - Happy Thoughts]oni

ZID DATM

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mark. Don't worry, your time is coming.

See ya in about 3 weeks....

Bill Alderson

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

Wont be able to make it to this convention. If we can set up a teleconference i would be happy to help out

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Hi Aaron,

Heh heh...figures....you're just who I had in mind for the job too.

Hopefully we'll find someone who will be at the convention since I don't think anyone has a clue how to setup a teleconference....or if it's even worth the time and trouble.

How 'bout it folks....you guys dead or just shy? It shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes of your time and I don't think anyone will be shooting at us that early in the morning.....especially if they're all hungover.

Bill Alderson

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Bump.

I ain't giving up that easy!

Bill Alderson

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

What about some of the VATUSA Staff members who are attending? I believe several of the top guys are Supervisors

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt,

Yeah, that's Plan "B" but they might be busy running the event and I'd hate to impose on someone who's plate is aready full. But it's begining to look like it might come to that.

As a matter of fact, they're all Supervisors except yours truly and Neil Corman.

Bill Alderson

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Haha - well I guess you guys'll have to hope someone else signs up, or get that Teleconference with Aaron set up

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

I heard from a reliable source that Roger Curitss is attending? I'm not sure if he checks this forum, but you may want to get in contact with him.

Nick

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted
I heard from a reliable source that Roger Curitss is attending? I'm not sure if he checks this forum, but you may want to get in contact with him.

He is on the list here (http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=7845) too, so I believe your soure was correct

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys.

I believe that Roger is going but I received an email from Mark Polston last night and he graciously volunteered for the job. Good thing too...because you guys were dangerously close to getting my "Standup" routine instead.....and that, nobody wants...trust me!

See ya in two weeks.....

Bill Alderson

Mark Zameda 810257
Posted
Posted

At least you ain't the opening act there buddy!

Mark Zameda

VATUSA6

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

My mamma didn't raise no dummies.....well, there IS my one brother but five outta six ain't bad......

Bill Alderson

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

you're seriously going to have a presentation on how people that make mistakes are disciplined? Sorry to rain on your parade, but I surely hope that the other presentations are more geared towards nicer, more informative and relevant topics, such as flying and controlling.

Just my .02

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

I wonder who'll they use as the example they're disciplining

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing Chad.

Bill Alderson

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
you're seriously going to have a presentation on how people that make mistakes are disciplined? Sorry to rain on your parade, but I surely hope that the other presentations are more geared towards nicer, more informative and relevant topics, such as flying and controlling.

With respect everyone, but Chad has a valid point.

There is a certain fear among newbie pilots that I've seen over the years; some are reluctant to fly online because they are afraid that they will do the "wrong thing" and get suspended or banned. To be honest, there are some indviduals I have seen over the years who are incapable of distinguishing between malicious actions and genuine mistakes. There are others who do understand the difference. It's interesting that Aaron Flodin needs to point out in a post tonight in essence "we're not out to ban/suspend you; we want you to succeed and have a good time."

I don't see why the VATSIM dissciplinary process needs to be highlighted; I think the best possible thing is for it to become obscure through disuse. There's enough pilots worried about doing the wrong thing. Thankfully we don't have the problems we had 12-18 months ago where we had COM problems and some junior GND controller threatening a permanent ban because he didn't get a response. :rolleyes:

Seriously guys, this is one aspect of VATSIM that does NOT need to be highlighted.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Normally I don't agree with Chad, but this topic just seems outright idiotic. Come on Bill.

We all know what it takes to get a boot and I guaranty anyone attending the convention isn't a KSEA 34R "Loaderupper."

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Aaron Flodin 878523
Posted
Posted

Eh, guess im the exception. I think it would be interesting. SUP->DCRM->RCRP->VP conflict resolutions i guess it would be. I am privy to the first 2 of those to a certain extent, but i would be interested to see how the rest of it pans out. If you have any power point slides/notes i would love to see them Bill.

For those of you who Don't know, Bill has the thankless job of DCRM for the VATNA region. He does an excellent job and should be applauded for it.

DPE / CFI / CFII / MEI (Gold Seal)

CP-ASEL, AMEL, IA, GLIDER, E170/175/190/195, CE-500

VATSIM Supervisor

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Sorry Aaron, since the 12 people attending are almost all staff or sups anyway, what's the point?

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

William Alderson 846320
Posted
Posted

Question: Who among you are going to actually be at the convention?

Seems to me that if you're not gonna be there then what I talk about is really none of your concern. And if you are gonna be there, looks like you're in for an extra 45 minutes of rack time.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Bill Alderson

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Sorry Bill. Not going. Got beter things to do then be lectured.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Question: Who among you are going to actually be at the convention? Seems to me that if you're not gonna be there then what I talk about is really none of your concern.

Well, the 20 of you can then do what you want. But don't be surprised if the other 89,980 VATSIM members may not get the right impression from what you are discussing, and the value you place on our feedback.

Have fun!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

I think it would be an interesting presentation. It could, however, be made clear that this isn't what the primary goal of SUPs is, as Aaron pointed out.. they are around to help, but they also can discipline if needed.

Perhaps if Bill made it clear to those in doubt, that this is to illustrate the behind-the-scenes work, and its not what you guys focus on all the time, it will change the opinions of a few people.

Wish I could make it, but we need to dig the car out of the permafrost before the spring thaw