You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to talk or hear Voice

Craig Moulton

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I've recently returned to the flight sim community after being gone for a very long time. I have settled upon vPilot for my choice of pilot client software, and all is well except that I am not able to connect to any voice channel. I tune my radio to the frequency for any controller that is online, and I hear a double tone, seemingly indicating that I've joined the controller's channel, but I can not communicate with the controller except by text. When I press my PTT button, the Tx box lights up (blue), but as far as I can tell, no one can hear me. The Rx box never lights up, and I hear no one. I'm sure there is something simple that I am missing, but thus far frustration is the name of the game.

What am I missing? When I tune the radio to an active controller (who is on voice), should I see anything in the vPilot dialogue box? Nothing seems to happen, unless I either double click on a controller in the controller list, or if I right click on the controller and select "Request (controller info?)".

My specs:

Alienware ALIENWARE_X51_R2 Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6Ghz

16.0 GB RAM

Windows 8.1 (running vPilot and FSX in running as Admin)

McAfee Anti-Virus/Firewall (with full internet access and UDP port 3290 forwarded and TCP 9809

Linksys Router Model EA6500 with same ports forwarded and UpNp disabled.

Do you need any more info?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If you hear the double tone, then vPilot is connecting to the voice channel. Nothing will appear in the messages area.

What is the result when you calibrate your mic?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

Mic Calibration worked as advertised. All was normal. The problem was the Windows Firewall. I did some digging deep into my machine and discovered the McAfee Security Center enabled the windows firewall. After discovering this I dug into the Windows Firewall and found out how to allow vPilot through. I connected to VATSIM and tuned to a couple of controllers and even an ATIS, and it appears that all is now well.

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Great, thanks for posting the solutions for others' benefit.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC