You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Force model override on aircraft

Karl Mathias Moberg

Karl Mathias Moberg
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Is there a way currently (or if not - hope for the feature in the future) to override an aircraft model on other users?

I've been flying around, and it's a downer when you see the default A321 and when you actually check what the user is flying in .debug, you see an 77W or a 747. Granted, they are not real liveries, which is why vPilot is displaying them as the default A321, but it would be nice to be able to override the A321 and select a 777 or 747 for example, so you get the right size of the aircraft.

Karl

NckPTPXs.jpg

Karl Mathias Moberg (KM) - C3/I1
https://nyartcc.org
ZNY Air Traffic Manager

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you don't have a model matching rules file loaded that matches the aircraft type and callsign prefix. The B77W or B747 aircraft type code shouldn't be a problem because they are listed in the similar aircraft types file.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Karl Mathias Moberg
Posted
Posted

Yeah, it's weird that it doesn't resolve anything else... In the last case it was a SWR callsign flying a 77W, getting resolved as the A321. Just have UT2 installed though, so might be that it doesn't recognize a plain 77W.

NckPTPXs.jpg

Karl Mathias Moberg (KM) - C3/I1
https://nyartcc.org
ZNY Air Traffic Manager

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Are you saying that the member logged in as a "77W" instead of "B77W"? Just plain old "77W" is not included in the similar types file.

I wish I had saved the chat I had a month or so ago with a gentleman who logged on with something that was incorrect (and also not included in the similar types file), but in essence I started a PM with him, asked him nicely if he'd mind a small suggestion that would help others on the network see him properly, and when he said "sure", mentioned that if he could log on to the network via his pilot client (e.g. vPilot, SB, FSInn, XSB) with a proper aircraft type code (e.g. B772 instead of just 772), others would be able to see him properly, and that putting the correct type code in a flight plan was not enough to solve that problem. He thanked me for the advice, immediately disconnected and reconnected with the correct aircraft type code, verified that I could now see him properly, and thanked me for the helpful suggestion. (I wish all interactions were that polite and kind!) I'm sure your mileage may vary, but I've done that a few times now with good results. Hopefully word will keep spreading and these types of issues will diminish over time.

Ross, I wonder how difficult it would be, and if this could be considered as a feature request, to have a small error-checking loop inserted such that if someone attempted to log into the network with an aircraft type not included in the SimilarAircraftTypes file, an error in red text saying something along the lines of "Warning: The aircraft type code you have entered does not appear to be correct. Please check and correct the type code if necessary." with options of Edit Type Code or Continue with Current Type Code) to proceed. It won't catch the non-vPilot users, but every little bit counts.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
Ross, I wonder how difficult it would be, and if this could be considered as a feature request, to have a small error-checking loop inserted such that if someone attempted to log into the network with an aircraft type not included in the SimilarAircraftTypes file, an error in red text saying something along the lines of "Warning: The aircraft type code you have entered does not appear to be correct. Please check and correct the type code if necessary." with options of Edit Type Code or Continue with Current Type Code) to proceed. It won't catch the non-vPilot users, but every little bit counts.

+1 for this idea/feature request... I might even like it over my own suggestion as it actually educates the user rather than silently fixing the problem.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is already on my todo list ... though I was thinking of compiling a list of valid codes and using that, as opposed to using the similar types file, since the latter would mean that some invalid types would be accepted, such as B747.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Heh.... cool.... great minds think alike!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations