You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Euroscope 3.2 Simulator Taxi and Take off

Michael Pike

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I really like the design of the ground layout configuration and the process for driving aircraft on the ground. I wonder would it be possible to enable taxiing aircraft to respond to a line up or take off command?

As far as I can see, when an aircraft has a status of taxiing, if I click the line up or take off buttons it slows down and stops. It won't then respond to any command except a new taxi command. It is a fairly common situation that aircraft taxiing to the runway holding point for departure will be cleared for take off before they get there and the controller will expect the aircraft to continue rolling onto the runway. The timing might be adversely affected if it slows down and stops at the holding point and the pseudo pilot has to wait for this and then issue the take off command (while he could be doing something else).

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

On further testing, I realise this only happens when the aircraft is taxiing on or near the runway but beyond the threshold (such as in the undershoot with a displaced threshold). When on a taxiway, the aircraft will respond immediately to a line up or take off command.

So this is less of a problem than I thought but still it would be great if the aircraft could line up by following its taxi route instead of just turning directly to the runway.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Hallo Michael,

Rolling takeoff feature is part of the requested features list and will likely be implemented soon.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Ah. Thanks Eric. And the problem I mentioned with lining up from beyond the displaced threshold is easily fixed by defining the actual end of the runway instead of the displaced threshold. They probably land a bit short now but that's not so noticeable.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Michael,

In order to have a displaced threshold for landing and full length for takeoff I usually define two runways for the same runway. One full length and one displaced. You can name on 08D and the other 08F, or similarly.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

And also note that when you press the line up the ES tries to line up the AC to the closest RWY on its own logic. But nothing stops you creating the lineup path as taxyway. That way you can control the path and the speed as well. When you start another tax while taxiing (including the lineup path) the plane would not slow down. Then just press the takeoff button instead of lineup.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Indeed. That's what I was doing at the start - using a taxi path to line up. But when the aircraft is in the undershoot, outside the defined runway, you can't click the take off button until the aircraft has slowed down and stopped at the end of the "taxi". If you do it will just hold position. The ES line up logic doesn't seem to work when the aircraft is in that position. Redefining the runway is a suitable solution though as discussed above.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I see. Then it is back to Eric's post that the "Rolling takeoff feature" will be available.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer