You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Special caracters

Marcelo Duran 1176670

Marcelo Duran 1176670
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin.

Congrats for the software!!!

I use to control in Brazil and a lot of our airports have "~" and " ' " in their names, as Galeão International Airport in Rio de Janeiro. Please, look what happend when I set up an ATIS for SBGL...

p1.png?dl=0

GALEãO - ANTôNIO CARLOS JOBIM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (in case the image doesn't show)

I know (and understand) that some word/names in Portuguese soud terrible in English speech synthetizers, but with these extra chars, those names are just too wired.

My sugestion is that chars like ã, õ, ô, ê, ñ, (and other alike) could be changed for a, o, e, n, etc... in the .xml config file, so text and voice ATIS could get better. I checked the .xml file and other airports aroud have the same problem.

Regards,

Marcelo Duran - C1

Marcelo Duran

VATBRZ C1 - P2

VATSIM Supervisor

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not sure how vATIS has the text to speech setup, but unless its setup to accept other languages, it wont be able to read and pronounce them correctly. same happens with other text to speech programs that aren't setup for multiple languages. itll try, but it wont pronounce them correctly