You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

WOAI full download: how big is it exactly?

Antonio Palmieri

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Hi.

Can anyone tell me what is the size of a full WOAI download please?

I am currently in a rural area of South Africa where internet usage is an issue and comes at a premium. Therefore I'd like to get the best aircraft-package/download-size ratio. Before committing to clicking "download" I'd need to know approximately how many MB/GB will be downloaded.

As I fly globally, I would not want to limit WOAI to European, or American, airlines only but would love to get a comprehensive package.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

im not aware of a full download, where are you seeing it? it would be over a gigabyte in size

if you mean the download on vpilot, its a small download. it does not contain the actual aircraft, It only contains the model matching rules for the client to know how to use them. the models you have to download separately. I would only recommend you download the rule sets for the models you actually have, otherwise youll have lots of error messages popping up

Peter Noerkjaer 812239
Posted
Posted

I have downloaded all WOAI files. The folder with the zip-files is about 3 gb.

Note that if you were thinking about the vPilot WOAI-file it will not work unless you actually have the WOAI AI traffic installed

Regards Peter

Used to be C1 ATC. Then came children and a house in the suburbs. Now I am just building a Boeing

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Note that if you were thinking about the vPilot WOAI-file it will not work unless you actually have the WOAI AI traffic installed

Peter, thank you. That's what I was looking for, the total size of the WOAI packages. Unfortunately 3GB is too much to download right now... will have to find another package.

Thanks for the "note"... yes, I did read the docomeentation

Perhaps is there any other advise as to what package would provide a comprehensive model set for less than 3GB?

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

If you are willing to pay for it, Ultimate Traffic 2 is pretty nice. It is a boxed product meaning that they will ship you the DVD and you don't have to worry about bandwidth. Aerosoft has a 15% off sale right now...

Tomas Hansson

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
If you are willing to pay for it, Ultimate Traffic 2 is pretty nice. It is a boxed product meaning that they will ship you the DVD and you don't have to worry about bandwidth. Aerosoft has a 15% off sale right now...

UT 2 is useless, I was amazed at the amount of airlines missing in a 2013 release.

WoAI is the most comprehensive AI traffic package and it's free.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Peter Noerkjaer 812239
Posted
Posted

On the other hand.

If you normally just fly in certain areas (Like ZA) there is no need to download the entire WOIA package just the ones that you would meet on your way. Not that big a chance to run in to a Norwegian or AirAsia flight while taxing in Jo'borg.

Regards Peter

Used to be C1 ATC. Then came children and a house in the suburbs. Now I am just building a Boeing

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted
On the other hand.

If you normally just fly in certain areas (Like ZA) there is no need to download the entire WOIA package just the ones that you would meet on your way. Not that big a chance to run in to a Norwegian or AirAsia flight while taxing in Jo'borg.

You're quite right Peter... Norshuttle wouldn't appear in Joburg But I do fly around... Imagine the next CTP or worldflight with only ZA airlines... not good... I might have to download the 3GB of WOAI and take a big chunk of the farm's monthly internet allowance !

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted
Forgive me the silly question: did you have to download each individual file (therefore many hundreds), or did you find a zip file that contained them all?

Do you know where I could find such a all-in-one package?

Peter Noerkjaer 812239
Posted
Posted

One by one.

Actually I just re-downloaded it yesterday as I had some duplicates so I am just about to du a fresh install.

The active airlines are "only" 1,5 gb. Add the that cargo, GA and airlines no longer operating.

I just read yesterday that they are looking for beta-testers for a new installer. I really-really hope that a new installer will make it easier to keep track on which packages are installed on the system and in-program-links to new airlines.

Regards Peter

Antonio Palmieri
Posted
Posted

Peter, I PM'd you

• 2 weeks later...
Chuck Dreier 828198
Posted
Posted

Do you think the WOAI models are more frame hogging or CPU/GPU intensive than those from UT2? Is there a real difference? I'm referring to FSX specifically. Thanks.