You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Reception Issue Out Of The Blue

Fred Michaels 1137645

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I will connect to the network and begin controlling, then suddenly I cannot hear the pilots. This event occurs sporadically, per session. Server information shows pilots are transmitting on the frequency, but no indicator/audio appears within the VRC Client. I can also still transmit, the pilots can hear and the appropriate indicator illuminates.

This occurs on a wide variety of voice servers and happens with no rime or reason. If I unprime from the frequency and reconnect, I will then be unable to even transmit (no indicator and server information confirms no audio is being sent, although I show I'm in the voice channel). This error cannot be corrected unless I shutdown VRC completely and restart the program. In some cases, I can reconnect and the problem is resolved. Other days, such as today, midway through hearing a pilot talk the audio cuts out and I'm back to square one.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever encountered a situation like this before? Again, this is sporadic, no changes have occurred on my network, no other programs (such as vATIS) are operating, etc.

Operating on Windows 7.1, 64-bit. Port forwarding is operating through the router as specified.

Edited by Guest

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Which firewall(s) are you using (including, if enabled, the Windows Firewall)? Have you tried disabling it?

If you have a router between your computer and your modem... is UPnP enabled on it? It almost sounds like a UPnP issue, but usually that's solved by transmitting or otherwise activating the outbound traffic (which re-initializes the corresponding inbound UDP rule). You could try rebooting the router and/or increasing the UPnP timeout anyway, though.

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted
Which firewall(s) are you using (including, if enabled, the Windows Firewall)? Have you tried disabling it?

If you have a router between your computer and your modem... is UPnP enabled on it? It almost sounds like a UPnP issue, but usually that's solved by transmitting or otherwise activating the outbound traffic (which re-initializes the corresponding inbound UDP rule). You could try rebooting the router and/or increasing the UPnP timeout anyway, though.

Firewall enabled or disabled makes no impact. The router is the modem for my particular ISP. UDP timeout is currently at 10 minutes.

-Fred

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Have you tried resetting the modem? It sounds like a common entry-level tech support cop-out, but it really can solve weird issues occasionally.

EDIT: And just to clarify, by "resetting" I just meant removing power for a few seconds.

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted
Have you tried resetting the modem? It sounds like a common entry-level tech support cop-out, but it really can solve weird issues occasionally.

Not a cop-out, learned to give people that direction well before my degrees. Yeah, I do reset it. Again though, the issue is that the entire thing is so sporadic. I can go a month without a problem, then have it solid for 5 days, then have it return two weeks later, vanish again for another month.

-Fred

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Interesting. And unfortunate. Other than wild goose chases that packet loggers (e.g. RawCap/TextCap) might have to offer, I've got nothin.

Best of luck to you on that one.

• 3 weeks later...
Matt Dirck 1252950
Posted
Posted

I am also having this issue. Its very frustrating.

-Matt

ZKC (S1)