You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Force pull METAR

Josh Glottmann

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Would it be possible to add a feature to forcefully pull the latest METAR? I've found that sometimes VRC gets the METAR before vATIS does.

Thanks,

Josh

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

You can manually change the ATIS letter to fetch the latest METAR.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Didn't know that thanks

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

It seems to frequently update the ATIS Code if you have Auto-Update on and manually update it. Would it be possible to have it disable the next auto update if the METAR is the same as the current one?

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Enabling auto update but manually requesting a new METAR from the server seems a bit counterproductive. The way it works now is if auto update is enabled and a new METAR is found (when vATIS polls the server every 5 minutes), it will notify you and update the ATIS. I really don't see the need to fix what's not broken.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I still don't really get why it changes the ATIS code if the METAR is the same

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I don't think I'm following...? Of course the ATIS code is going to change if you manually change the ATIS code...

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

If you manually change the ATIS code because you saw there was a METAR update, vATIS will change the code again once the same METAR comes through the auto update,

i.e. Info M current, latest METAR is from 0153Z, auto-update is enabled

I see that VRC pulled a new METAR from 0253Z. I then change the code on vATIS so the METAR it is using is now 0253Z and N is current.

In the next 5 minutes, when vATIS detects that the METAR has changed from 0153 to 0253 as a result of auto-update, the code will change again to O even though the manual change had the METAR frpm 0253Z and so did O.