You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

File flightplan doesn't file it

Luke Armansin 1260552

Luke Armansin 1260552
Posted
Posted

I was having trouble with the VATSIM flight prefile page not working. So i tried the flight plan function in vPilot but it doesn't send the flight plan either. I have filled in all the boxes.

Stephen Cooke
Posted
Posted

Verify the Vatsim ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, sounds the most likely cause of both failures.

Regards,

Stephen Cooke

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

He wouldn't be able to file with vPilot unless he was connected, so his CID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word should be correct.

Luke, can you try saving your flight plan within vPilot and then emailing me the resulting file? (Email to vatsim /at/ metacraft /dot/ com.)

Or reply here with the content of each field from the plan.

I'd like to try filing the same plan myself and see if I have any better luck.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

And, as part of that, a couple of thoughts:

1. Both the Route and Remarks field must be one line/string. Carriage returns are not allowed.

2. The maximum number of characters allowed in your flight plan for it to be accepted is 768.

We've seen instances in the past where people try to "format" their remarks by having each remark field on a separate line, or sometimes copy data in from another program that inserts a carriage return/line feed, and some cases where people put LOTS of stuff in their remarks, thus exceeding the character limit (and some cases both!).

Can you ensure your Route and Remarks fields are each one line with no CR/LF, and ensure your whole flight plan is less than 768 characters.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Luke Armansin 1260552
Posted
Posted

The dialog box did say flight plan sent but the controller wasn't getting anything and vatspy didn't show me as having filed a flight just blank with a call sign. Email on its way. I am using the latest version too.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The combined length of the route and remarks are close to (but seemingly not over) the character limit. Have you tried with a shorter route and/or remarks field?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Just to confirm -- the 768 character limit is for all data in the flight plan, as I understand the post earlier this year from Mike Evans.

...the character limit was extended earlier this year to 768 characters for the entire flight plan.

Don Desfosse

Luke Armansin 1260552
Posted
Posted

No. I gave all my flight info to the SFO twr controller who filed it for me.

I used the PFPX function to prefile to vatsim. So the remarks and flight plan are all generated from PFPX.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Let me know if it works with a shorter route and/or remarks.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Also, and I forget what PFPX gives you for output (i.e., if there are CR/LF characters embedded (i.e. multiple lines used for the Remarks block)), but if PFPX provides output with CR/LF characters, did you strip them out? If not, suggest you try that and see if it works.

Don Desfosse

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot takes care of stripping out newlines and carriage returns before filing the flight plan, so that's not why filing through vPilot isn't working ... not sure about the prefile system.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Ross, I thought I remembered that about vPilot but was thinking Prefile when I wrote that. The last I remember from Mike was that CR/LF characters was an issue, and that he was going to look into stripping them in the Prefile system, but haven't heard if that was done.

Don Desfosse