You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

my first time attempt on Vatsim

alan cottrill 1301758

alan cottrill 1301758
Posted
Posted

To all VATSIM members affected by my first time on line .

Sorry if I held you up at EGCC, I also had a few problems , that I had not seen before .

1 . I tuned to ATIS , but could not hear anything even though it showed a freq , which I tuned too.

2 . There was no ATC tower available at all , i.e. not manned , when I was wishing to T/O , so GRD told me to tune to 122.8 and listen , this is when I got a problem I had not seen happen before .

3 . every time I tried to announce my intentions on freq 122.8 , with the button on my yoke , the radios com 1 and 2 retuned themselves to 136.0.

4 . on decent to EGNS runway 3 , which was the nearest to a headwind according to sky vector , the A/P tripped out of heading , and engines throttled back on there own , these are not connected to the A/P , so I had to take manual control of aircraft till i got the aircraft back where she should be , and re engaged A/P .

5 . tried to announce my decent and again on finals , each time i pressed the coms button to speak , the radios retuned from 122.8 to 136.0 .

6 . on trying to retune radio back to 122.8 , I may have caught the yoke accidently , and next thing I knew , the aircraft had hit the sea .

7. shortly after this my FSX crashed to desktop .

8 . the client used was VPILOT , aircraft was AEROSOFTS DHC6 v1.11 .

9 . I was using FSX + Acceleration + active sky (next) real weather downloaded .

all in all for a first flight it could not have been worse , if it could go wrong , it did .

Now i have to try and find answers to these odd aircraft and sim problems , in the hope of preventing these problems .

regards alan.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM! A couple comments/notes about some of the troubles you experienced:

1 . I tuned to ATIS , but could not hear anything even though it showed a freq , which I tuned too.
Where was this frequency shown? Do you mean you looked in the nearby ATC list in your pilot client and saw an entry for (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume) EGCC_ATIS?

2 . There was no ATC tower available at all , i.e. not manned , when I was wishing to T/O , so GRD told me to tune to 122.8 and listen , this is when I got a problem I had not seen happen before .
If no one was providing tower services, then there shouldn't have been an ATIS online - that's a VATSIM ATIS/Controller Info policy.

3 . every time I tried to announce my intentions on freq 122.8 , with the button on my yoke , the radios com 1 and 2 retuned themselves to 136.0.
While the frequency changing is certainly an issue, note that only text is supported on UNICOM - you should announce your intentions via text using your pilot client.

I would try looking in your flight simulator's configuration to see if the yoke button is mapped to some other function.