You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Server Issue

Michael Siniakin 1159578

Michael Siniakin 1159578
Posted
Posted

Hello All,

I have been having this problem for some time, just never thought of fixing it till now

When I am using VRC, no matter what frequency/voice server/voice channel I am using, the frequency goes dead after five minutes. When I key the mic, then the timer starts over. If I do not speak for another five minutes, the frequency goes dead...and so on and so on. This is a bit of a nuisance as I have no idea when the frequency will die, so I just key my mic every couple of minutes. While this is a temporary solution, I am looking to solve the problem. Anyone hear of this or know of a solution?

Best Regards

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Well known and docomeented issue.

Q: After a few minutes, I can't hear others, and I am using a router. When I click my PTT, I can hear again, for a few minutes, then it happens again. What's up with that?

A: Ensure you've forwarded UDP port 3290 in your router, for routers that close the port after a timeout. (It doesn't hurt to set up the forwarding for routers that don't have an inactivity timeout.)

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Michael Siniakin 1159578
Posted
Posted

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. I am not on a router. My internet connection is provided by an ethernet system. Does the port forwarding apply to ethernet as well?

Best Regards

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Yes.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Michael Siniakin 1159578
Posted
Posted

Forgive my ignorance here. How would I forward the port? I do not have any access to the Ethernet system settings as it is a college network. Is there some local setting I can change?

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately not. You would need to ask your network administrator to make that change, but I don't know if you would have any luck if it is a university network. You may consider using a VPN or I think there was a tool that automatically keyed the mic every few minutes.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

For the sake of clarity, I'll point out that "being on ethernet" and "being on a router" are not mutually-exclusive. In fact, 99.999% of the time, anyone that is on ethernet is also on a router, it just may not be a router that you own and control, as is often the case with college students in a dorm.

There may not be much you can do here, but you could try asking the college IT people about it. I doubt they'd set up a port forwarding rule especially for you, but maybe they can increase the timeout for connections on that port.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 4 weeks later...
Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

There is a work-around for this, but it's not pretty. You can download a little app called AutoHotKey. With it, you can write a brief script that will send a keypress to VRC every X minutes to mimic your transmit key. If your transmit key is one of the CTRL keys, it should work. If it is a different key, VRC will have to have focus or it won't work.

Not elegant, but it works, at least for me.

http://www.autohotkey.com/