You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS for a different airport being managed

Lluis del Cerro 810821

Lluis del Cerro 810821
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am now training a controller in LEPA. We are managing two different approach sectors. He has set the ATIS for LEPA and as arriving traffic to LEIB crosses our airspace, I have tried to set the ATIS for LEIB. I did all things to connect LEIB_ATIS and apparenly it is connected and listened by me, but it is not listed in the ATC facilities. If I do it using the Euroscope ATIS it is listed.

Is it possible to set an ATIS for a different airport to that being managed and if so, what should I do to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro

Senior Instructor

http://www.catalonian-airlines.cat

vatsim_5000h.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

As long as you have an active controller connection, you should be able to connect vATIS using any airport identifier - it has no limitations on what airports are allowed based on what your controller callsign is at the moment.

Are you sure you changed the callsign to "LEIB_ATIS" when connect vATIS to VATSIM?

EDIT: I checked the lat/lon coordinates in vATIS' navdata against your sector file, and it looked fine (almost perfectly centered at the midpoint of runway 6/24.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It may be the LEIB is too far from LEPA for it to show up in your controller list. I definitely see LEIB_ATIS online in VATSpy.

Edit: I see they are only about 75 miles apart ... so that shouldn't be it.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Actually, I take that back... even though the coordinates appear fine in the .xml file, vATIS is definitely not centering its vispoint where it should be...

EDIT: @Justin - either Lluis' airports.xml file is corrupted, or vATIS is doing something weird with truncation. From the datafeed:

LEIB_ATIS:810821:Lluis del Cerro:ATC:119.800:38.00000:1.00000

from my airports.xml:

Ibiza Airport

EDIT2: Testing vATIS version 1.0.7168.40764 on Sweatbox shows that it placed LEIB_ATIS at the correct location.

Edited by Guest

Lluis del Cerro 810821
Posted
Posted

Hi,

As long as you have an active controller connection, you should be able to connect vATIS using any airport identifier - it has no limitations on what airports are allowed based on what your controller callsign is at the moment.

Are you sure you changed the callsign to "LEIB_ATIS" when connect vATIS to VATSIM?

I am now logged in as LEPA_E_APP. LEPA_W_APP has set ATIS for LEPA using ES.

I have set in vATIS the airport for LEIB and loaded LEIB_W profile file (west configuration). I have connected vATIS to VATSIM, set the ATIS letter, connected vATIS and clicked on "auto update". The frequency set for LEIB_ATIS is the correct as indicated in the ES *.ESE file. However, LEIB_ATIS is not listed in the ATC list when using vATIS although it is and works correctly when using the voice ATIS from ES.

Thaks for your help,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro

Senior Instructor

vatsim_5000h.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

I tested LEIB_ATIS on Sweatbox using the same version Lluis is using (latest stable, 1.0.7166.38666) and it again worked correctly.

Lluis, it is possible that something is wrong with the location of the LEIB airport in the file that vATIS uses to store airport information (it doesn't use the ESE/SCT files). Try doing the following:

1. Close vATIS if it is running.
  2. Open the following folder (use the "Run" or "Start Menu" in Windows to copy/paste this path): %appdata%\vATIS\NavData\
  3. Rename airports.xml to airports_old.xml
  4. Download this version of airports.xml and save it to the same folder as above.

This will not affect any of your saved profiles. Once you do the above, try re-opening vATIS and connecting the ATIS again.

Lluis del Cerro 810821
Posted
Posted

Hi,

vATIS says I am not connected to VATSIM although I am. Likely is the airport.xml file. I have copied and pasted it to a file and likely it has not the correct structure. Can you send it to me as a file insted of a list?

Thanks,

Lluís

Lluís del Cerro

Senior Instructor

vatsim_5000h.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

EDIT: The connection error is no longer an issue, but even with a known-good airports.xml file, the latitude/longitude coordinates were still being truncated to integers. The same happened for LEMH_ATIS as well. Even tried USA-E rather than EUROPE-W to no avail.

I'm still out of ideas... and still must defer to Justin's expertise as to why the latitude/longitude values are being truncated.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

This is odd. Were you having this issue yesterday?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS