You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pros and Conns

Brendan Chen 943434

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Hi all:

I am currently a FS9 user but wanting to know a bit about X-Plane, what is the good and the bad for X-plane interms of the availabilty of addons, graphics, performance and realism?

Brendan

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

Joakim Bo 915384
Posted
Posted

There is a demo at http://www.x-plane.com/demo.html .

3500.png

Chief of Membership, Scandinavian VACC

Mentor, C1

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Brendan,

Did you not say you had a fixed base sim based on x-plane in this post?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

G'day Norman:

Well, lol, my past forums has been kind of weird and abnormal, because I haven't really made myself clear enough because I thought the full detail was unnecc[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ary...

Basically what it is it that; This is my first year of university doing Bachelor of Engineering (Aerospace Avionics) and because my course director realised my knowledge of VATSIM (compared to other students including upper grades), he gave me the oppotunity in designing the 3rd year's project and the 4th year's project was to make a fixed base flight simulator (Which is partly complete, it's only a little Cessna 177) and the 3rd years' are meant to programme stuff so it works with software FS. At the moment, X-Plane is running on the computers but still not connected to the fixed base simulator and it's the 3rd year's job to connect it. So that's why I would like to know bit about X-Plane although the university is deciding to change X-Plane for MSFS9.

So there it is, that's the whole story

Brendan

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

XPlane is definitly the right choice for the project. There is an SDK available that lets you have almost complete control of the sim. This is not the case with MSFS. Plus XPlane uses constant physics calculations to determine the aircraft's performance while MSFS uses a table lookup. This means the aircraft designer tells MSFS how the plane flies while in XPlane, it figures out how the plane flies using physics models.

Checkout www.xsquawkbox.net for the SDK information.

Christopher Serio,

Developer XTower/AVC/XSB/ACSim (Sweatbox)

667.png

Cale Davis 917255
Posted
Posted

There is basically only one way to sum up X-Plane and MSFS:

If you want eye candy and pretty graphics, go with MSFS.

If you want realism, go with X-Plane.

cale2.jpg

Brad Hosking 910720
Posted
Posted

Also have to add that MSFS does not support Linux...

Even though there is not a lot of offical support for X-Plane, it works very well on a linux platform after a little tweaking

4531.png

world13-2.png

• 2 weeks later...
Eugenio Grigorjev 816591
Posted
Posted
Also have to add that MSFS does not support Linux...

Even though there is not a lot of offical support for X-Plane, it works very well on a linux platform after a little tweaking

Well, I won't say that. Even though I didn't had to ask regarding linux installations, there are at least three or four e-mail groups that actually gives you tons of information. And lets you ask the rest of the people about your problems.

X-Plane community is quite interactive. Nowadays there are too many (for my taste) 'commercial' add-ons (until few years ago everything were freely shared among users).

Moreover, one of the best [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets of X-Plane is X-Squawkbox. It was the first interface to be written 'as real as it gets', and similarly to what today we can see in SB3 and FSInn... where you just have to tune up your default com1 in order to tune text and voice channels at the same time...

Also, what I liked a lot (and that now for some reason is not active anymore) was the ability to switch your transponder either MODE C, or MODE A (that does not respond altitude encoding).

Eugenio Grigorjev

Ezeiza - Buenos Aires

Argentina