You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Custom Euroscope package

Pavel Brodsky

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

This might be on developers especially:

Here at VACC-CZ we would like to make a completely pre-set package for our controllers including .PRF, .ASRs, settings files, .SCT/ESE, etc. We would like to publish a package which could be just downloaded by user and ready to run of the shelf. Would it be possible? We tried something like that with 3.1d, it quite worked but we had some problems and didn't finish the whole mission. Now with 3.2 we would like to finally finish it. I especially like the idea of having a portable version on USB stick ready to be used at any computer without having to install ES first.

My questions:

1) does ES write some stuff somewhere else than into his Program Files folder and user docomeents? I mean shall we expect something important in registry, fonts, etc. that needs to be also transferred to the end user computer?

2) Can we disable the default stuff which we dont use? Like the Hungary folder, default atis, etc? Whenever we delete those files the ES seems to start installation again trying to repair them. We agreed we see no reason why should our controllers keep some never-to-use ASRs from Hungary over there...

Thank you for info,

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Mark-Julius Pikat
Posted
Posted
This might be on developers especially:

Here at VACC-CZ we would like to make a completely pre-set package for our controllers including .PRF, .ASRs, settings files, .SCT/ESE, etc. We would like to publish a package which could be just downloaded by user and ready to run of the shelf. Would it be possible? We tried something like that with 3.1d, it quite worked but we had some problems and didn't finish the whole mission. Now with 3.2 we would like to finally finish it. I especially like the idea of having a portable version on USB stick ready to be used at any computer without having to install ES first.

My questions:

1) does ES write some stuff somewhere else than into his Program Files folder and user docomeents? I mean shall we expect something important in registry, fonts, etc. that needs to be also transferred to the end user computer?

2) Can we disable the default stuff which we dont use? Like the Hungary folder, default atis, etc? Whenever we delete those files the ES seems to start installation again trying to repair them. We agreed we see no reason why should our controllers keep some never-to-use ASRs from Hungary over there...

Thank you for info,

Pavel

Agree about the Hungary default files. They are useless.

spacer.png

Mark-Julius Pikat
Chief Executive Officer of VACC Estonia mark-julius.pikat [at] estvacc.org
Head of VATEUD Examining Program mark-julius.pikat [at] vateud.net

• 4 weeks later...
Georg Lauenstein 1147633
Posted
Posted

Hello Pavel,

My questions:

I think not really. Important are the links in the .prf file to find all relevant settings. That means create a package (includes .sct. ese. prf. ase, atis and more). Furthermore you can create a easy install routine like http://www.thprogs.de/EasySetup/eng/index.htm to simulate a normal installation. Thats it !

maybe check the setting in the .prf file.

Settings AtisFolder \..\YOUR FOLDER\Atisfiles.txt

Hope it helps.

Regards

Gray Taylor 1041931
Posted
Posted

Pavel,

I have been developing and managing a custom EuroScope suite for our controllers since 2010 that is a faithful reenactment of the real-world software that our Kingston counterparts use. Contact me and I can walk you through the workflow of it...

CAF838_CF_124_A_4720_9_FCC_AF62_EFF8_ED4_E.png

Merik Nanish 1184142
Posted
Posted

At New York ARTCC, we have been maintaining ES packages for several years as well. You can get the most recent version from http://nyartcc.org/downloads and yes, it is a standalone package, so you can really have it on a USB stick.

NYARTCC Facility Engineer and Instructor

255qao8.png

• 5 years later...
Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted
On 10/11/2014 at 5:24 PM, Pavel Brodsky 982568 said:

As a new EuroScope user, I wanted to remove all the demo config cruft in %home%\Documents\EuroScope to have a clean slate, and stumbled over the same behaviour. The mistake seems that those demo configs are declared being part of the "software installation" when Gergely creates the MSI package, so considered "vital" by the windows MSI installer self-repair functionality.

The EuroScope start menu link is not directly pointing to the .EXE file but to a virtual application registration (that's via registry as far as I found out - not a windows admin/dev), and that makes clicking the start menu EuroScope entry first trigger MSI. That one then detects the "crucial" files having being deleted and starts the prevent-support-calls "auto-repair", restoring the demo configs.

@Gergely Csernak 904331 any chance of fixing that so that %home%\Documents\EuroScope is considered install-only (no auto-repair)?

Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted

BTW, I've found a page describing the underlying functionality, and how to prevent auto-repair for the demo configs... by separating them out into another "Feature" definition. Hope that helps:

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/qa-self-healing.html