You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Stansted (EGSS) departures

Nikos Stournaras 892258

Nikos Stournaras 892258
Posted
Posted

Hello everybody. I have a question regarding the departure procedures from Stansted. Tonight I filed a flight pan from Stansted to Paris de Gaulle. The first waypoint of the flight plan was LAM. The controller of Stansted stated he could not give me clearance as LAM departures are reserved only for Heathrow so I had to file an alternative one from LYD. However, Routefinder confirmed the LAM routing and Stansted charts I had downloaded from Navigraph (latest AIRAC) and there is included a SID from Stansted to LAM. Any opinions on that? Which is wrong? The controller or the charts?

Kris Thomson
Posted
Posted

Hi Nikos,

Routefinder does not take into considerations the restrictions for SIDs and will simply present what it thinks would work best. In this case LAM is only available for departures going to Heathrow so the controller is correct.

The chart you found is correct in that there is a LAM SID but again this is for Heathrow only.

Thanks,

Kris

Kris Thomson C1

CTP Planning Team member

VATSIM UK Live! Organiser

Follow VATSIM UK Live! on Twitter

34.png

Nikos Stournaras 892258
Posted
Posted

I see. You know, I don't see an issue since it was about a departure with time to look for an alternate FP. Obviously if a similar situation was faced during an approach the controller would provide vectors. I believe a related NOTAM is somewhere to be found.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Nikos,

I advise against using Routefinder, you have experienced yourself why.

Have a look at vroute.net, the basic version is free of charge and you will see what other pilots have flown and what has been validated through Eurocontrol.

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
I see. You know, I don't see an issue since it was about a departure with time to look for an alternate FP. Obviously if a similar situation was faced during an approach the controller would provide vectors. I believe a related NOTAM is somewhere to be found.

Or a reroute, it's not uncommon to get pilots filing incorrect inbound routes as well as SIDs. As you say though, SIDs are easier to amend.

A good example is high level traffic from Brussels filing to Gatwick via LYD, this puts them straight against the outbound flow. They should file further north via TEBRA or ERING, and joing TIMBA3E. Instead they see the TIMBA2F and join that, without reading the charts in detail. If you study them you will notice a restriction of FL140 or below at LYD, this is a subtle hint that it's only for low level traffic.

Similarily, if you read the notes of the EGSS LAM SID chart you will see that it says "for landing at EGLL only".

So therefore, if you have me on LON control and have filed a strange routing, do not be surprised if I give you a new one. Sometimes giving the new route is a lot easier than vectoring as there is less monitoring needed, so I try to use that option when available to me.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia