You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Oceanic Tracks Display

Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

When I download the current NAT tracks from within VRC and display them, the western-most portion goes off into space rather than connecting with the entry/exit point. I've verified that the fixes have the correct coordinates in the sector file, and in fact the five-letter fixes are displayed correctly. The track hits the final LAT/LON fix, and then all tracks wander off to the same point in the southern hemisphere. (See image)

It seems to me there is something wrong with the download, but I can't see it, so don't know.

Any idea how to correct this?

nats1.jpg

Western tracks

nats3.jpg

Eastern tracks

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

I am not sure that the NAT download is functional. Did you compare the VRC output with the current NOTAM to insure they are the same?

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

No, I'll do that and report back.

Thanks.

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

FWIW, the downloaded NAT tracks are current and correct.

Removed
Posted
Posted

I am experiencing the same issue as Mr. Seeley. Maybe the coding of the tracks to display in VRC is not correct?

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

I believe all VRC users experience this problem. But I do not believe Ross has any intentions of further developing/updating VRC, so not sure if this can be fixed. Depending on your ATC facility/position, this may or may not be a big deal. For most ARTCC's there is no use for this feature but I can understand how this could be frustrating for an Oceanic controller.

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

I wasn't expecting or asking Ross to modify the client, just wondering if there was something that could be tweaked by the user to accommodate the download. I know it worked correctly at one time by the discussions in the VRC forums on Ross' site.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

The fixes that are showing up at 00/00 have been added to the NATs since the release of VRC. They were added effective 29 May 2014 (see data, below). I'm 99.9999% sure the oceanic track fixes and corresponding coordinates/locations were hard coded into VRC, so without a known location for those fix names, they display at 00/00. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming my 99.9999% theory is correct, you are correct that the only person that can fix this (no pun intended ) is Ross.

AVPUT 65° 02’ N 060° W
CLAVY 64° 14’ N 059° W
EMBOK 63° 28’ N 058° W 
KETLA 62° 28’ N 058° W 
MAXAR 61° 28’ N 058° W 
PIDSO 60° 28’ N 058° W 
SAVRY 59° 28’ N 058° W 
URSAP 58° 35’ N 057° 30’ W 
ALTOD 57° 42’ N 057° W 
CUDDY 56° 42’ N 057° W 
DORYY 56° 02’ N 057° W 
HOIST 55° 02’ N 057° W
JANJO 54° 02’ N 057° W
LOMSI 53° 06’ N 056° 47’ W
NEEKO 52° 24’ N 055° 50’ W
RIKAL 51° 48’ N 054° 32’ W
TUDEP 51° 10’ N 053° 14’ W
ALLRY 50° 30’ N 052° W
ELSIR 49° 30’ N 052° W
JOOPY 48° 30’ N 052° W
NICSO 47° 30’ N 052° W
PORTI 46° 30’ N 052° W
SUPRY 45° 30’ N 052° W

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Looks to me like the issue is server-side (source):

Note the lat/lon of the JOOPY waypoint. Many other tracks appear to end with waypoints having lats & lons pointing to (0,0).

EDIT: Just noticed JOOPY was in Don's list above. Perhaps it's just a server-side update that's needed to report the correct coordinates for the new waypoints.

Edited by Guest

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VRC pulls the track data from the VRC web server, which in turn pulls it from a script running on simroutes.com, which in turn pulls it from a third party source. So either there is a problem at the original source, or at simroutes.com. I'll contact the simroutes author and see what's up.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Oh, well, so much for my 99.9999%.... Good thing I asked Ross

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Well I'm 99.99999% sure that SimRoutes doesn't actually look up the fix coordinates, in this case they just come from the source.

I did a few tests this evening based on the data alone and couldn't manage to get the coordinates to populate for these new waypoints. The original data source has them listed as 0/0. We will try and speak to the source (who I haven't spoken to since 2007 but was an awesome guy back then). If we can't figure that out then I might have to pull the source code off of a microfiche to modify it

Was actually thinking about sunsetting simroutes so that I could stop funding the service that has been hosting it for the past 14 years. I guess some people still use it.... While people like Bradley might think it sucks, I think it isn't that bad for a Netscape LiveWire application and an access 98 database hacked together by a product guy who has no programming skills

Tom, Bill, Don, Ross and others - glad to see you are all still alive and kicking. Hope all is well.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

Ian, old friend, very nice to hear from you!

And Ross, thanks very much for checking in on this.

Tobias Niederhauser 866959
Posted
Posted

We are still looking into this issue.

cheers,

tobi

title.jpg

Tom Seeley
Posted
Posted

Well for some reason, it is working perfectly today for CTP. So if someone tweaked something, thanks!

• 10 months later...
Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Sorry to revive this topic.

Issue is happening for me right now.

VRC is only downloading TMI 227 when 240 is current

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Note that this is a different issue from what was mentioned before... in fact, it looks like a hybrid (there are some waypoints, e.g. URTAK, showing a lat/lon of (0,0)).

EDIT: This time, however... it looks like SimRoutes has the latest data (TMI 240, 8/28).

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Oh, didn't realize that...

Experiencing that issue as well.

AVUTI is an example of that.

Strange that SimRoutes is updating whilE VRC isn't.

I pull data from SimRoutes as well for my Oceanic Report Sheet and it is accurate too.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The URL that my server uses to pull oceanic track data from SimRoutes is throwing an error. I've informed the SimRoutes owner.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Should be fixed now.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Confirmed. Thanks Ross!

• 10 months later...
Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Booomp. Tracks not downloading at all now.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Bump.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I have contacted the SimRoutes author.