You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PTT Transmit Sound

Tony  Shade 1269300

Tony  Shade 1269300
Posted
Posted

Is there a way in Vpilot to have sound when push to talk is pressed? or is there a way to add custom sounds? I have reviewed the docs and I do not see anything listed.

OORAH!!!! IT'S A MARINE THING.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, there is no way to have a sound play when you press PTT. Out of curiosity, why would you want that?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Tony  Shade 1269300
Posted
Posted

As a former user of fsinn it is usefull to me at least that way I know im transmitting on frequency. I use projectors not monitors and vpilot is on a smaller monitor in my simpit.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
As a former user of fsinn it is usefull to me at least that way I know im transmitting on frequency. I use projectors not monitors and vpilot is on a smaller monitor in my simpit.

Don't you already know that you're transmitting? I mean, you are aware that you're pressing the PTT key ...

If you're looking for a way to know that you're pressing PTT *and* vPilot is connected to an active controller's voice channel, then that functionality already exists, in the inverse sense. vPilot sounds a buzzer if you press the PTT when you're not on an active voice channel.

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

I think what he wants is an aural indicator that his PTT key press is being received by the software. Very useful for troubleshooting comms issues.

2uo1990.png

You don't need Red Bull to get your wings.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the other would probably be to do a feedback loop so you hear yourself transmitting. this can already be accomplished without editing the software though (tune com1 and 2 to the same freq, activate both frequencies. youll get the feedback)

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I think what he wants is an aural indicator that his PTT key press is being received by the software. Very useful for troubleshooting comms issues.

That can be done by observing either the debug window messages, or the TX box lighting up.

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

That can be done by observing either the debug window messages, or the TX box lighting up.

That's more of a visual indicator. An aural indicator is, as Tony specifies, an audible feedback indicator. I'm pretty sure FSInn and Squawkbox both have this feature available.

It's actually beneficial to have two aural indicators - one when transmission starts, and one when transmission terminates. The latter could be used for quick identification of a "stuck mic" situation on the pilot's end in which case the "transmission terminated" chirp would not be observed.

2uo1990.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's more of a visual indicator. An aural indicator is, as Tony specifies, an audible feedback indicator. I'm pretty sure FSInn and Squawkbox both have this feature available.

I was addressing your comment about troubleshooting ... visual is all you need for that.

Tony  Shade 1269300
Posted
Posted

Don't you already know that you're transmitting? I mean, you are aware that you're pressing the PTT key ...

If you're looking for a way to know that you're pressing PTT *and* vPilot is connected to an active controller's voice channel, then that functionality already exists, in the inverse sense. vPilot sounds a buzzer if you press the PTT when you're not on an active voice channel.

Maybe I did not make my self clear before. As Scott states, I was looking for an audio noise when the ptt key is pressed as fsinn uses on an active voice channel. The light does me no good as to vpilot is on a small screen in a simpit with surround projectors as I do not use text not the latter ross as you state.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, I understand ... as you said you want to know when you're transmitting. I'm saying that if you press PTT, and you DON'T hear the buzzer, you know you're transmitting.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm waiting for Ivan Pavlov to chime in at any time now...

The already initiated will note the lame joke within a lame joke above.

Edited by Guest

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I'm waiting for Ivan Pavlov to chime in an any time now...

Haha ... just wait for the next version ... it'll administer an electric shock instead of the buzzer.

Tony  Shade 1269300
Posted
Posted
No, I understand ... as you said you want to know when you're transmitting. I'm saying that if you press PTT, and you DON'T hear the buzzer, you know you're transmitting.

Thank you very much for your time sir. I guess vpilot is not for my setup.

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

But if the PTT press is not received by the software, then no buzzer will sound. The negative feedback scheme is completely useless.

2uo1990.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

But if the PTT press is not received by the software, then no buzzer will sound. The negative feedback scheme is completely useless.

As I said before, you can troubleshoot that situation using the debug window.

• 2 months later...
Jurgen Weerelds
Posted
Posted

i also want that ptt sound hearing in my headset, its very useful in vpilot

i transfered from fsinn and they had that feature

now im not knowing if i push the button that im actual communicate with the controller

for the rest very nice software

• 3 years later...
Ian Niblo
Posted
Posted

Old topic I know, but I'd find this option really useful too.

This week on Worldflight I had three people in my cockpit and on several occasion we accidentally talked over the pilot monitoring while he was replying to ATC. A beep would tell everyone that he'd started transmitting and wasn't just joining in the conversation. FSInn had that feature and I kind of miss it

Cheers!

Ian

Full size 737 cockpit - https://www.facebook.com/SimAirUK

Windows 7 64 bit, Prepar3d v4, vPilot , FSUIPC v5

Rex4 Texture Direct, Active Sky 2016 P3D4 +Active Sky Cloud Art, Ultimate Traffic Live