You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Southampton and Bournemouth STARs commencing March 16th

Iain Sealey 841536

Iain Sealey 841536
Posted
Posted

Evening,

Southampton and Bournemouth are getting STARs at the beggining of the next AIRAC starting on March 16th.

The arrivals are the same for both airfileds and details are here: http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/amend28/6A002.PDF

Pilots and ATC may want to look these up, so they can become familiar with the procedures.

Cheers

Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted

Since our only NavData source (navdata.at) is still at AIRAC cycle 0513, it doesn't make much sense to bring up new procedures into VATSIM-effect... especially if the changes include modifications in where fixes and waypoints are (I don't know wether that's the case here for Southampton and Bournemouth STARs).

Best regards,

Daniel

Matthew Lewis 878286
Posted
Posted

They are based on pre-existing routes, so that controllers don't have to give a long-winded routing through their sector, especially from the east. The charts are free and available to be downloaded by everyone and the waypoints have been around for years.

Matt

uk9.jpg

Robert Wright
Posted
Posted
They are based on pre-existing routes,

And these are ?

The charts are free and available to be downloaded by everyone

Which charts and where ?

Not trying to be a Smart Alec, Matt, but am confused as to which site, VATSIM or the UK-NATS ?

Its my home airport (EGHI) and I've never flown in or out - nows my chance !

Thanks

Rob

Rob

ascii-planes.png

333336.png

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
They are based on pre-existing routes,

And these are ?

The charts are free and available to be downloaded by everyone

Which charts and where ?

Not trying to be a Smart Alec, Matt, but am confused as to which site, VATSIM or the UK-NATS ?

Its my home airport (EGHI) and I've never flown in or out - nows my chance !

Thanks

Rob

VATSIM-UK uses the NATS charts. The links are on the VATSIM-UK website, or you can go direct to http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipad2.htm You'll need to register and log-in, but as Matthew says "it's free!"

Ruth

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Matthew Lewis 878286
Posted
Posted

SAM1A CPT - PEPIS - SAM

SAM1B UMBUR - OCK - PEPIS SAM

SAM1C WCO - PEPIS - SAM

SAM1D WAFFU - CAMRA - GWC - SAM

NEDUL1A THRED - NEDUL

The SAM1A replaces the standard inbound arrival from north used by the likes of the Manchester/Scottish/Leeds/Newcastle flights.

SAM1B is used by Scot Air namely on the Amsterdam route and Eastflight on the Brussels route. Prior to the STAR being introduced, controllers would have to give the routing on first contact which was quite long!

SAM1C is not used that often as it was for flights that operated below FL80.

SAM1D is the arrival used for most northern France and Swiss flights, namely Air France and FlyBe to Austria.

NEDUL1A despite being the shortest STAR I've ever seen, it will be *used* by the Channel Island shuttles and the flights to and from Spain and southern France that FlyBe operate.

Although the descent planning is for pilots to expect to be level at FL70 by PEPIS/GWC/NEDUL, I'd expect this only to be the case with the SAM1D on a regular basis. I think that descents outside CAS will remain for northerly and north-easterly arrivals so a straight in approach can be offered. Likewise with the southerly arrivals where an aircraft can be cleared for the direct VOR/DME approach from the south rather than having to enter the hold or vectored away from the field when runway 02 is in use. I'll be interested if I can dig up any more info as Southampton is also my home field in the RW. There are a fair few of us that control the Solent fields - Southampton and Bournemouth on a regular basis. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually manned pretty well. Feel free to pop along one evening. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Matt

uk9.jpg

Robert Wright
Posted
Posted

Thanks both.

Sorry you had to type it all out Matt, but its great information, really useful and it is appreciated.

This will be quite a milestone ; 700+ hours on SAT/VAT over 6 years and I'm only just sorting out a flight in/out of my home airport !

Thanks again for that detailed reply, just what the doctor ordered.

See you soon on the Eastleigh . . . . or is it Southampton apron . . . . . .

Cheers now

Rob

Rob

ascii-planes.png

333336.png