You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What's the main differences between VATSIM and ...........

James Roberts 955206

James Roberts 955206
Posted
Posted

Hi, I"m new to Vatsim and wondering what the main differences were between VATSIM and www.eskyworld.com?

Fred Clausen
Posted
Posted

The fact that we don't have threads with titles with "..........." in them?

Other than that, I imagine the main difference would be that we enjoy a tad more realism and a few more pilots.

Fred Clausen, vZAB ATM

ZAB real life

Christopher Kahl 908183
Posted
Posted

I used to fly on eSkyWorld; I left and I'll never go back due to the 'civil war' that broke out there. I've been on VATSIM for over a year and it is the closest thing to real world flight and air traffic control imaginable. Here, squawk codes aren't a number a controller gives a plane so he can sound cool, they actualy mean something. Here, when you tune to a specific frequency, it means something because it changes the voice channel. When you're told to contact Phoenix Approach on 128.65, you read back, change your radio, and talk to a compleatly different person. Isn't that awsome? You can even fly all over the world without having to switch servers, and still get ATC whenever a controller signs on.

Also, I find that VATSIM is so much more profesional than any of the orther organizations out there; and therefor more enjoyable.

There is no better place online to fly or control.

It's my opinion, I'll leave you to form your own.

And remember, we don't censor IVAO in a sentance 'I love IVAO, it rocks!' to 'I love [THE OTHER NETWORK], it rocks!' like eSky does 'Does anyone here also fly on VATSIM?' to 'Does anyone here also fly on [THE BIG VAT]?'

Christopher Kahl (I1)

Events Coordinator

Albuquerque Air Route Traffic Control Center

zabartcc.org

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

try flying on zone.com with ATC. Compare that to VATSIM. esky sounds like zone.com people but with more structure.

I'm sure you'll stick with VATSIM forever after that.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

Kevin Kan
Posted
Posted

?

I took that picture because on that day i got my license at a glider pilot. when I was leaving the field I saw a goat down the dusty path and decided to snap a picture as a reminder.

You can use the indicator if you want.

1723.png

atc2o.png

Like my GOAT? Too bad, it's mine.

My airline flying at the speed of normal

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

James,

Like Christopher Kahl said in his previous post, VATSIM emulates real life operations, as our controllers are trained, and most of the pilots are as well.

No doubt you've been given directions to the pilot rescource center, http://vatsim.net/prc so please check it out.

We (as ATC) try to provide a realistic environment for pilots, as we follow the rules of the country we work at, and we hope that the pilots will follow the same.

This is the only free network that allows you to log on with your FSx, or Xplane sim, connect to the network with SB or FSInn, (all free) and see other pilots, talk to REAL people, and get a taste of what real aviation is all about!

I can say this as a retired 737 pilot with over 12000 hours in real life, and now I'm a virtual ATC. So I can tell you, VATSIM is about as "real as it gets" (IMOPO)

Have fun, and happy flying!

Cheers!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor