You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SpeechDrownedOut

Luca Gigli 925778

Luca Gigli 925778
Posted
Posted

I've just installed VPilot, but I can't calibrate microphone. I always get the answer "SpeechDrownedOut" and a different number of Squeelch. I'm sure my microphone is working, because it works on Windows and in Teamspeak. I've tried to calibrate mic boith pushing PTT and without pushing it.

Thank you

Luca

Italy

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the vatsim voice codec doesnt really support a lot of background noise, if you have your speakers loud or a lot of background noise, that would cause that

also if you have your mic boost turned on in your windows settings, that would also do it

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

After you spoke into the mic for 5 seconds during the calibration, it should play back your recorded voice. Did you hear it?

(Note that you do not need to press your PTT during calibration.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Luca Gigli 925778
Posted
Posted

Ernesto: no, I hear nothing played back

Ross: I haven't mic boost active in Windows. I'll try to shut down speakers, the only noise is the fans of my computer, but I don't think they areso noising. I've also tried with two different mics, but nothing happens

Thank you

Luca

Luca Gigli 925778
Posted
Posted

I've tried with and without mic boost and i?ve also kept off (is a plug in mic) during 5 seconds for calibrating noise, but nothing.

Sometimes I had the answer "Speechdrownedout", sometimes I had the response "Backgroundnoisetooloud, Sppechdrownedout, microphonehot" and I hear noise recorded. But the only noise and it's so loud, are the fans of the computer. I've tried with other mic, but nothing changes.

I don't know hot to do, I'll try with FsInn or SB.

Thank you

Luca

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I certainly don't mean to ask a silly question, but it may be relevant, since so many folks (myself included) have done it from time to time, but are you sure you've selected the correct audio device from the ones offered? I know I have 3, and every once in a while select the wrong one with the same issue. Good luck!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

I had the same error. What I think I figured out is the silent period start AFTER you click OK on the dialogue box, so the silent period is between when you click and the next box pops up saying to talk for five seconds. Don't use the PTT during this test.

Kyle Ramsey

Luca Gigli 925778
Posted
Posted

Don: yes, I'm sure I've selected the correct audio device (I've two: a sound card integrated on the motherboard and one "external").

Kyle: I'll try it. I mean that the silent periodcould be 5 seconds from the pop-up window and the ok, but I'ill try. Do you think that the speaking period is the same thing: after clicking the pop-up window for speaking?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Here are the steps:

1) Click OK on the first popup and remain silent for 5 seconds.

2) After those 5 seconds go by, you'll see a second popup. Click OK and speak at a normal voice level for 5 seconds.

3) After those next 5 seconds go by, you'll see a third popup showing the results. Click OK to hear your voice played back to you.

I will edit the text on the popups to be more clear if I can.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Luca Gigli 925778
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much Ross

Maybe you can explain it well on istructions too

Luca