You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9.1 Patch

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

My entire flightsimming "career" with FS9 (FS2004) I was under the impression that after installing it, you needed to install the patch to take your initial installation to FS9.1 to correct some bridge and autogen issues.

I recently "gave up" on my 9 year-old WinXP machine..actually, my grandson helped in that surrender when he downloaded a virus that corrupted the OS. Rather than go through all the recovery/reinstall issues that came with that I bought a refurbished 2.33 GHz Win 7 Professional 64-bit 4GB RAM machine from Newegg and I am now in the process of installing everything I would have had to reinstall if I tried to save the WinXP machine.

After installing the 163 updates that were necessary to bring Windows up to date I installed FS9 on the machine this morning. I also downloaded the 9.1 patch from Microsoft, but before installing it I started FS9 and flew a bit just to make sure things looked as they should. On a whim I then checked the version by going to "Help/About FS2004" and discovered it said I had version 9.1 installed. Mind you I have not run the patch yet. When I downloaded the patch off the MS site I chose to "save" rather than "run" the download.

Did some sets of FS2004 come already patched on the installation disks after a certain date? It has been many, many years since I bought the set so I have no idea what date I actually bought the set. I am relatively certain I installed the patch on my XP machine and apparently didn't need to. Just curious even more so about the effect installing the patch on my new machine will have since it already says I have version 9.1 installed.

Isn't it amazing what we find when we try to do something correctly without "mucking" through an install without paying attention to what the system is doing or has done.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Randy,

that's interesting! In my installation of FS9 the patch was already included as well, if memory serves me right. On the other I cannot imagine that it would actually harm your installation if you ran the 9.1-patch anyways.

You may want to install a current world-set of ILS', VORs and NDBs into your FS9, in case you never came across this website: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids2.html

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reminder, Andreas. I tried to make a mental checklist of what I need to do before I get to where I was before WinXP went south, and the updated navdata was glaringly absent from that list after looking when I read your post. I did have the magdec.bgl file that corrects the magnetic declination problem...to a point...on the list, but not navdata. It's there now.

Thanks again, and I think I will hold off on the patch until I try to install my PMDG B737NG (for FS9, obviously). I distinctly recall FS9 must be patched to FS9.1 for the PMDG to function correctly. If it installs and flies I will know I need not worry about the patch. It may be the end of December before I make it back online in VATSIM, but I want to do it "smartly" so I don't end up with issues down the road.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training