You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot model matching questions?

Marcellus Pigatt 1309140

Marcellus Pigatt 1309140
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello to all. I am new to VATSIM and I use vpilot to connect.Ii've read up a little bit about the model matching thing. I do not have any addons for FSX, so I can only use FSX default aircraft for model matching. I read that doing this, aircraft on VATSIM can only look like FSX default models. Does this mean that whatever aircraft someone is flying at any given time is actually masqueraded by the default FSX model? So if you don't have any addons, you cannot see anyone's real aircraft models? Why is this? Honestly, I don't really like the model matching idea because Ii would like to see other people's real actual aircraft such as PMDG aircraft, and others. Here's an example. If someone is flying a PMDG Southwest airlines 737, since I don't have any model matching sets besides default FSX default aircraft, It would only register to me as a white default A321. I think this is disappointing. On youtube, I see many VATSIM videos where people are flying and they can see many various aircraft of all types and liveries, whether its payware or freeware, or military like VRS superbug F18s. Why doesn't VATSIM allow everyone to see everything in it's actual form? Even with scenery; If you don't have the scenery someone else has that is really awesome, you can't see it. Is there any way around this? Is it because I'm using vpilot? Is this the same with FSINN and FSCOPILOT?

Edited by Guest

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hello, Marcellus, and welcome to VATSIM. The main reason is that you need to own the software that you use and be licensed to use it. The way model matching works, and this is true of all clients, is that the model matching will essentially be as good as the AI aircraft as you own and have configured. You can't see someone else's stunning PMDG B738 because you don't own the software and haven't paid for the ability to see the stunning images. As a side note, using high fidelity imagery just to view others' aircraft would take a tremendous toll on your own FSX performance, which is why most AI packages are much lower fidelity. Your example of scenery is a good one; you need to own scenery, AI, etc. to see it.

As far as I know, people who use FSX default aircraft only will see some type of the model of aircraft (e.g., B738, B744, LJ45, etc.), but in one of the FSX default paint schemes (e.g., Soar, World Travel, etc.). But if you are looking at someone who is logged on using an aircraft type that's not included in the FSX default (e.g., C750, etc.), it will appear as a white A321. vPilot does a great job of trying to find you a similar aircraft type, but for most of us, there is a lot of value in seeing aircraft represented the correct way (make/model/paint scheme), so most of us have made an investment in time (and in many cases money) to acquire and configure AI packages that allow us to see the vast majority of aircraft on VATSIM represented correctly.

That said, most (probably more than 99%) VATSIM users add on an AI package. There are several excellent packages available as freeware (e.g. WOAI, etc.) and there are several excellent payware packages as well. By adding on one or more of these packages and downloading/installing a corresponding model matching rule set, you'll be able to see others in the correct make/model/paint, and will likely have a much nicer VATSIM experience. As a starting point, I'd encourage you to check out the WOAI aircraft available and download/install, and then set up vPilot to use, ones that you are likely to see based on where you fly. By doing so, it'll be a good start to see if the WOAI packages are a good fit for you. You can then download more and/or purchase professional packages based on your own desire to minimize the default A321s that you see.

Best of luck, and look forward to seeing you around our friendly skies!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Marcellus Pigatt 1309140
Posted
Posted
Hello, Marcellus, and welcome to VATSIM. The main reason is that you need to own the software that you use and be licensed to use it. The way model matching works, and this is true of all clients, is that the model matching will essentially be as good as the AI aircraft as you own and have configured. You can't see someone else's stunning PMDG B738 because you don't own the software and haven't paid for the ability to see the stunning images. As a side note, using high fidelity imagery just to view others' aircraft would take a tremendous toll on your own FSX performance, which is why most AI packages are much lower fidelity. Your example of scenery is a good one; you need to own scenery, AI, etc. to see it.

As far as I know, people who use FSX default aircraft only will see some type of the model of aircraft (e.g., B738, B744, LJ45, etc.), but in one of the FSX default paint schemes (e.g., Soar, World Travel, etc.). But if you are looking at someone who is logged on using an aircraft type that's not included in the FSX default (e.g., C750, etc.), it will appear as a white A321. vPilot does a great job of trying to find you a similar aircraft type, but for most of us, there is a lot of value in seeing aircraft represented the correct way (make/model/paint scheme), so most of us have made an investment in time (and in many cases money) to acquire and configure AI packages that allow us to see the vast majority of aircraft on VATSIM represented correctly.

That said, most (probably more than 99%) VATSIM users add on an AI package. There are several excellent packages available as freeware (e.g. WOAI, etc.) and there are several excellent payware packages as well. By adding on one or more of these packages and downloading/installing a corresponding model matching rule set, you'll be able to see others in the correct make/model/paint, and will likely have a much nicer VATSIM experience. As a starting point, I'd encourage you to check out the WOAI aircraft available and download/install, and then set up vPilot to use, ones that you are likely to see based on where you fly. By doing so, it'll be a good start to see if the WOAI packages are a good fit for you. You can then download more and/or purchase professional packages based on your own desire to minimize the default A321s that you see.

Best of luck, and look forward to seeing you around our friendly skies!

Ok, Thank you very much! Does the IVAO do the same in regards to model matching?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Ivao works in just the same way when it cones to model matching.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg