You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to use voice comms

Michael Schwartz 1143713

Michael Schwartz 1143713
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have an interesting deal going on here with vPilot. I just built a new pc and had to install everything. FSX works better than I could have hoped on the new setup and I got around to setting up vPilot recently. Unfortunately I have had some issues communicating with ATC. It seems that ATC cannot hear me unless I specifically have vPilot selected and brought to the front of the taskbar. I can have FSX selected and hear ATC fine but it seems that I cannot transmit without specifically selecting vPilot ahead of FSX.

Let me know if any other info would be helpful and your ideas.

Thanks,

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Are you using the keyboard for PTT? If so, you might be running into the issue noted in the vPilot docs about how you have to run both FSX and vPilot as an administrator. (Or neither.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Steve Kightlinger 1287614
Posted
Posted

I'm having a similar problem, though may be a different cause. I can connect to vPilot, and if I dial in a frequency shown in vPilot into FSX, I can hear communication between ATC and other pilots. However, I cannot transmit out.

I've tried the "run as administrator" thing, in many configs (both vPilot and FSX in administrator mode, both NOT in administrator mode, and also tried with one or the other using admin, and the other without.). In no configuration will I be allowed to transmit.

I'm also noticing that the "TX" light on vPilot will not flash when I try pressing my PTT. I'm attempting to use a button on the joystick (button 4 on a Logitech Extreme), which would normally be used as a "drop object" button. However, I also tried setting up different buttons as my PTT switch to see if that would fix the issue.

I've checked the setting options for FSX for chat transmission, as well as the setup screens for FSX, and the joystick controlling software as well. I cannot seem to get FSX to allow me to utilize that connectivity with vPilot.

I have not tried bringing vPilot to the front, as Michael indicates below. I'm using two screens, and vPilot is on one screen, while FSX is fully viewed on the other. What do most other people set up as their PTT button? I thought of using a keyboard button, but everyone I have thought to use is another function already [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to it within FSX, so I don't want to mess up any normally functionality within the simulator.

Thanks for the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. Hopefully able to solve this problem soon, so I can start flying the planes when logged in versus just sitting there and listening in.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Sounds like maybe a blocked connection. Have you read the Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting Guide found at the top of this forum?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Steve, when you press your PTT, do you hear a buzzer? That would indicate that you aren't actually connected to a voice channel.

Try entering the .debug command to open the debug window, then press and release your PTT button. If it is recognizing the button press on the joystick, you will see messages in the debug window such as "PTT state changed: true". Does that happen?

Steve Kightlinger 1287614
Posted
Posted

Don, I don't believe it is a blocked connection as I do get an established indicator on the vPilot server. If there are ATC controllers on-line I will see them appear on the left side, and I can dial in one of their radio frequencies into FSX's radio stack. I'll get the little tone indicating the connection of my FSX radio was made to the ATC frequency. I can also see the "RX" light illuminate if either ATC or another pilot broadcasts over the channel. I'm just unable to make my own voice broadcast on the frequency.

Ross, I hear nothing when I press the PTT button, nor will the "TX" light up in vPilot. I'll have to try the .debug feature you mentioned to see what that indicates. It's possible this is some incompatibility between my joystick and vPilot, but I'm doubting it. One the setup screen for your communication method in vPilot, I can press the button so vPilot registers it as my established key for PTT.

I'm at work at the moment, so I will be unable to test the .debug feature until I'm back home later tonight.

Would it be better if I tried a keyboard button for the PTT, so I can rule out the joystick as part of the problem? What keyboard key do most people use that won't remove an already established function in FSX?

Also, are there any frequencies in vPilot for actual testing or troubleshooting, without using a true ATC channel? While I'm trying to fix my problem, it'd be nice to send out a "test test test" message without it becoming a disruption to any other air traffic users in the channel.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Ross, I hear nothing when I press the PTT button, nor will the "TX" light up in vPilot. I'll have to try the .debug feature you mentioned to see what that indicates. It's possible this is some incompatibility between my joystick and vPilot, but I'm doubting it. One the setup screen for your communication method in vPilot, I can press the button so vPilot registers it as my established key for PTT.

It's very strange that vPilot is recognizing the joystick button press when you configure your PTT, but it's not recognizing it when you actually try to transmit, as evidenced by the lack of the TX light illuminating. The debug log will tell us for sure if vPilot is recognizing the button press.

Would it be better if I tried a keyboard button for the PTT, so I can rule out the joystick as part of the problem? What keyboard key do most people use that won't remove an already established function in FSX?

Back when I used SB3, I used the DELETE key, and mapped it to a joystick button with FSUIPC. However, don't try that yet ... let's start with the debug log and go from there.

Also, are there any frequencies in vPilot for actual testing or troubleshooting, without using a true ATC channel? While I'm trying to fix my problem, it'd be nice to send out a "test test test" message without it becoming a disruption to any other air traffic users in the channel.

No, there aren't any test frequencies. Most controllers will be happy to help troubleshoot voice as long as they aren't busy with traffic. The first priority here is to get it so that your TX light illuminates ... you can just connect to any ATC channel and briefly press your PTT (about a half a second will do) without saying anything. If the TX light doesn't illuminate, you aren't transmitting and won't disrupt the channel. If the TX light does illuminate, you'll only transmit dead air anyway, and then you can wait for a lull in the conversation and ask the controller for a radio check.

• 11 months later...
John Devonald
Posted
Posted

I know it's been a while on this post, but disappointed the solution was not posted. I am having EXACT same issue. .debug shows that vPilot IS recognizing my selected button press. But no TX lighting up, and no one hears me. I hear everyone else fine. Checked online docomeentation. nothing...

ANy help appreciated!!