You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Stutters in traffic injection upset PMDG TCAS

Scott Norton 1241275

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

This is in reference to another thread which I posted in the wrong forum (oops ). Basically what happens is, I'd be cruising along and I'd get a TCAS warning. When I look at the NAV display, either the traffic is offscale, or it's reporting an altitude of 9900 below me and climbing at an impossible rate to its true altitude.

Most recently, I got a TCAS warning for an aircraft in the Los Angeles cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace which turned into a TCAS RA. When I informed LA_CTR, they said there was no traffic within 3000' of my aircraft.

I have not experienced this kind of behavior with FSX default traffic or with FSINN traffic. I personally believe that vPilot is refreshing the AI traffic and spawning it at an altitude of 0, as evidenced by the occasional reloading of a nearby parked aircraft to a different livery i.e. an AAL RetroJet 737-800 to an AAL 2013 Paint 737-800. How can I change this behavior in vPilot to avoid incorrect TCAS RAs turning into real conflicts?

2uo1990.png

You don't need Red Bull to get your wings.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I personally believe that vPilot is refreshing the AI traffic and spawning it at an altitude of 0, as evidenced by the occasional reloading of a nearby parked aircraft to a different livery i.e. an AAL RetroJet 737-800 to an AAL 2013 Paint 737-800.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying nearby aircraft just suddenly change livery? vPilot most certainly does not refresh AI traffic and spawn it at zero altitude.

Maybe you can try running vPilot in debug mode and then save the debug log when this happens again.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

I will try that tonight. I'll be joining in the AvA group flight so I should have plenty of traffic to observe.

2uo1990.png

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

I didn't observe any unusual events last night, however while I was loading at Zurich today, I noticed a few aircraft were deleted due to timeout and reloaded shortly thereafter. I also noticed a few TCAS events corresponding to new aircraft being spawned at a point close to me laterally but far from me vertically. Here's an example which triggered TCAS:

[16:34:14.003] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: OE-KFI - Reason: Timeout
[16:34:14.032] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: D-ESLM - Reason: Timeout
[16:34:14.087] Requesting controller info: EDDK_GND
[16:34:14.111] Aircraft discovered: D-ESLM - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[16:34:14.155] Aircraft discovered: OE-KFI - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info

Notice that less than 0.2 seconds elapsed between aircraft deletion and aircraft detection. Earlier in the flight, while I was still on the ground, I had seven aircraft respawn due to timeout:

[15:13:33.987] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: AEE16A - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:33.998] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: UKR7370 - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:34.007] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: DRD165 - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:34.017] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: BER716 - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:34.026] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: PGT9110 - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:34.036] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: GWI768 - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:34.061] Aircraft deleted - Callsign: VKG401 - Reason: Timeout
[15:13:34.070] Requesting controller info: LSZH_M_TWR
[15:13:34.079] Requesting controller info: LSZH_X_TWR
[15:13:34.088] Requesting controller info: LSZH_TWR
[15:13:34.248] Aircraft discovered: AEE16A - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[15:13:34.260] Aircraft discovered: BER716 - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[15:13:34.267] Aircraft discovered: DRD165 - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[15:13:34.276] Aircraft discovered: GWI768 - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[15:13:34.282] Aircraft discovered: VKG401 - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[15:13:34.292] Aircraft discovered: UKR7370 - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info
[15:13:34.299] Aircraft discovered: PGT9110 - requesting CAPS, sending CAPS, requesting aircraft info

Shortly after shutting down FSX and vPilot, I went to speedtest.net and got the following results: PING 6 ms; DL 6.26 Mbps; UL 1.98 Mbps. Server was hosted by Monmouth Telecom in Red Bank, NJ.

Debug logs

Connected as BER367/B738/CPEK. Flight plan sent:

Origin LSZH

Destination EDDK

Alternate EDDL

ETE 00h53m

FOB 03h07m

TAS 448

ALT 36000

HEAVY Yes (forgot to uncheck... whoops)

EQUIP L

ROUTE

VEBIT T51 LASUN UT10 TORPA UT40 GIVOR UN853 ARCKY UT853 IBESA T853 NOR

COMMS /v

REMARKS

AIRAC1501/WWW.JOINAVA.ORG/NAVIGRAPH CHARTS

2uo1990.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Aircraft time out if vPilot doesn't receive a position update after 10 seconds. Normally, position updates are sent every 5 seconds. So vPilot gives a full 5 second grace period. Since you had multiple aircraft time out, I'm guessing there was some lag either on your end or at the server's end. (Or somewhere in between.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

Ross, thank you for the feedback. USA-E has had connectivity problems in the recent past, particularly during periods of heavy load. I will try connecting to USA-N and get back to you with my observations.

EDIT: On my last flight, I was connected to USA-C, not USA-E, as I had previously [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed. A quick test showed that USA-E is the best server in terms of ping time, so I will try that going forward. USA-N no longer exists in the server list.

2uo1990.png

Scott Norton 1241275
Posted
Posted

Ross, I completed a flight on the USA-E server and received one timeout deletion with no reconnect by the timed-out aircraft. I will test this more extensively tomorrow or Friday during scheduled events so I can see how vPilot handles heavy traffic on the USA-E server.

2uo1990.png