You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How do I use the ACSim software?

Christopher Serio 823884

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you're an instructor and have downloaded the software, install it and view the included docomeentation. This will get you started and show you how to take advantage of the features of the ACSim. You can also view a flash tutorial that I put together by following the link below. The tutorial is not meant to replace the docomeentation, it's mean to make the docomeentation easier to understand. I suggest following both.

http://vatsim.net/comms/acsim/ACSimTutorial.htm

If you're a student, there's nothing special that you need to do. You merely connect to the server (click here for a tutorial on doing this) and treat the aircraft as if they were real pilots. Someone on your instructing staff will provide the voices and/or text for all of the pilots and you should work and practice like you normally would.

Edited by Guest

Christopher Serio,

Developer XTower/AVC/XSB/ACSim (Sweatbox)

667.png

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Hey Chris,

Just to let you know, the student tutorial link loops back to this topic.

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

Fixed now. Thanks!

Christopher Serio,

667.png

Wayne Higgins 838379
Posted
Posted

HI Chris,

I dont have a clue how to :

1. Enter the correct Lat Long coordinates

2. How do I save a situation??

Dont you think it would be a good idea to enter sample data?

Kind regards

Wayne Higgins

VATSAF Founder

VATSIM-South Africa (http://www.vatsaf.net.za)

Max Tribolet 897448
Posted
Posted
HI Chris,

I dont have a clue how to :

1. Enter the correct Lat Long coordinates

2. How do I save a situation??

Dont you think it would be a good idea to enter sample data?

Yes, Exactly, How do you enter correct Lat Long Cooridantes? I have no idea how to do this also.

Max Tribolet

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

Guys please at least make an attempt to find the answer by looking in this forum. These questions have been asked and answered multiple times.

Christopher Serio,

667.png

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

One I have done up

• GGN7476,4315,45.391739,-65.818831,125,13000,0,1800
    I,BE19/S,270,CYFC,1000,1015,130,CYHZ,1,15,
    FRENN V310 YHZ
    /V/
    GGN7474,4316,45.391739,-65.818831,125,13000,0,1800
    I,BE19/S,270,CYFC,1000,1015,130,CYHZ,1,15,
    FRENN V310 YHZ
    /V/
    GGN7472,4315,45.391739,-65.818831,125,13000,0,1800
    I,BE19/S,270,CYFC,1000,1015,1500,CYHZ,1,15,
    FRENN V310 YHZ
    /V/

Red sections are the format for coordinates; you can convert standard to decimal using this site

Do the above in Notepad, and when saving it, type filename.acs

Make sure each aircraft's info is the 4 lines; I believe Chris has the format sticky'd somewhere here

So...

44.47.14 LAT

63.18.10 LON

Into the website we go!

And out comes the decimal form, acceptable to use in ACSim

44.787222° Latitude

63.302778° Longitude

I hope this helps

Xavier Van Nieuwenhuyse 81
Posted
Posted

Christophe,

I wrote a page for student's prupose, including what AcSim can do, AcSim limitations, and how to connect.

Where do you want me to send it to?

Xavier Van Nieuwenhuyse

Christopher Serio 823884
Posted
Posted

Xavier,

If you want, you can just paste it here.

Christopher Serio,

667.png

Xavier Van Nieuwenhuyse 81
Posted
Posted

Here is what I send to my student(s). Feel free to use it.

About AcSim 1.0

AcSim 1.0 Is a program that allows the instructor to steer several data tags appearing on the controller client radar scope. You could compare it with a very simple flight simulator without scenery. The instructor enters the data in the autopilot and AcSim send's it data to the Vatsim server, as would any aircraft do when connected to Vatsim with FsInn or Squawkbox. So you can handle the traffic as you would normally do or as the instructor will teach you to do.

What can each aircraft do in AcSim 1.0?

- fly a heading / direct to (not more than one waypoint at a time)

- enter a kind of hold on a fix (the aircraft will tend to fly around the fix).

- intercept an ILS or LLZ at 30° angle or less (the aircraft will not intercept at an angle higher than 30°)

- descend or climb to an altitude/flightlevel

- intercept a glideslope if following the LLZ of an ILS (it is possible that the aircraft stops descending if it reduces speed below 160 kts).

- increase or decrease airpseed (it can affect or even stop the descend/climb behaviour of the aircraft).

- increase or decrease descend rate (it may stop the descend or climb of the aircraft if the airspeed is not in accordance)

- transmit a squawkcode and Ident, but not squawk stantdby.

- show a flightstrip on the radar client.

Limitations

There are however some limits to AcSim 1.0.

It can be, in some situations, that the instructor will pause the simulation. Either in some extreem situations where he receives too much instructions, or to discuss the situation with the student.

- Lateral navigation

AcSim is conceived to receive vectors, as well for arrivals as for departures. It can however fly direct to any given waypoint (intersection, VOR, NDB, airport) present in the sector. But never more than one waypoint at a time. Furthemore, it is the only instructor that flies all the aircraft, who is alos the voice for all aircraft (very exceptionally, a second instructor could 'fly' a part of the aircraft). So avoid giving instructions like 'leave Flora VOR heading 310' to one aircraft, and similar instruction to another aircraft. Try to limit the lateral navigation instructions to headings or 'direct to'. The same is valid for departures: aircraft will not follow complicated SID's.

- Vertical behaviour

It can be that the aircraft stop's climbing or descending when speed or descend rate are changed.

An aircraft departing will not takeoff if speed is 250 kts and climb rate higher than 1800 ft/min. (climb rate can be increased later.

- Departures

All departures will be on the runway.

- How to connect?

- With ASRC: In your ASRC folder, edit or create an 'ipaddr.txt' file and the following line: 'sweatbox.vatsim.net Sweatbox'. If you like to have Sweat box appear at the beginning of your list, enter this line instead: 'sweatbox.vatsim.net 0-Sweatbox'. If on the contrary you would like to see Sweatbox appear at the end of your list enter this line instead 'sweatbox.vatsim.net zz-Sweatbox'

- Open ASRC and prepare it as you would do for a normal ATC session. (Visibility range, primary voice, open the sector file, etc.)

- In the 'connect' box enter the data as you would normally do (callsign as indicated by your instructor. e.g. EBBR_APP). In the 'Server' list choose 'Sweatbox' or what you entered in your 'ipaddr.txt' file. Click 'OK' and you will probably see your instructor waiting for you with a bunch of arrivals and a few others ready to copy the departure clearance.

Xavier Van Nieuwenhuyse

• 9 months later...
Lakhbir Singh 936840
Posted
Posted
If you're an instructor and have downloaded the software, install it and view the included docomeentation. This will get you started and show you how to take advantage of the features of the ACSim. You can also view a flash tutorial that I put together by following the link below. The tutorial is not meant to replace the docomeentation, it's mean to make the docomeentation easier to understand. I suggest following both.

If you're a student, there's nothing special that you need to do. You merely connect to the server (click here for a tutorial on doing this) and treat the aircraft as if they were real pilots. Someone on your instructing staff will provide the voices and/or text for all of the pilots and you should work and practice like you normally would.

can i get the link please to download it

cheers

SWA1501

Lak Singh

Remember: When in doubt, ask!

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

can i get the link please to download it

cheers

If you read the part you've quoted again, you'll see that the download is for instructors. You don't have to download anything. The person doing the instructing will set it all up and will then arrange for you to connect to the ACSIM server for a training session. However ACSim is for experienced students who have already p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed their tower exams and are now learning to vector aircraft. There is a Tower Sim, but your local Training department wil lbe the people to ask if your division uses it or not.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Vice Presdient - Communications

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

• 2 months later...
Richard Walls 935359
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know where I can get the docomeentation for ACSim? I got the program from our ATM but no one seems to know anything about the docs although its been mentioned in several posts here.

Thanks

Richard Walls

ZOA - I1

935359.png

• 2 years later...
Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

Where is there a command reference for ACSim? The old page listed above is gone.

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Paul, there is no command reference for ACSim. It's a graphical user interface, not a command prompt software.

Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

Right but there are some commands relating to getting planes to fly localizers and ILS approaches and such. There used to be a web page that showed all the different things you could do with ACSim. I have a new trainer that was trying to learn how to use it and I couldn't remember the exact codes.

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

For localizers, just have your student type in the runway, just make sure that before you type that in, you have a correct intercept heading. Then, once established, type "GS" into the altitude box.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Paul Biderman
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ryan.

Paul Biderman
ZAN DATM

• 1 year later...
Steven Bartlett 1106450
Posted
Posted

Is there a command reference somewhere for ACSim? I am new to using it, so i don't event know how to get the aircraft to move.

vUALC1.jpg

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

ACSim is not based on text commands like TWRTrainer. ACSim is based on a graphic interface to control the aircraft. If you can't get the aircraft to move try unpausing the simulation if not already done.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Steven Bartlett 1106450
Posted
Posted

I have unpaused and nothing happens. What do you mean Graphic interface?

vUALC1.jpg

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Graphic interface as in you have different boxes that information goes into. As you tab over the commands will be sent to the "aircraft" Your TA will probably be the best person to ask as he gave it to you and can work in real time with you.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

• 5 months later...
Lawrence Bailey 975283
Posted
Posted

I am getting an Unauthorized client software error. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I am getting an Unauthorized client software error. Does anyone know how to fix this?

What is your ATC rating?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

Got the same error.

Chris Mauro