You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Reinstalling Windows 7

Frank Otero

Frank Otero
Posted
Posted

Hello fellow addicts,

My laptop has been acting up lately (slow at times, having problems coming out of hibernation, showing errors when trying to run windows update. After trying the suggested solutions by MS, I am to the last option which is a reinstall of windows 7 (Home Premium). I know that it can be done while keeping files and programs.

Have any of you done it with good results without developing problems with addons, etc?

I think I have a recovery disk (I think that is the right term) that I made a while back. Could this be of any help?

Regards

1092537.png

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Best solution is to save your FSX directory and user/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX Folder to an external disk, as well as any other non sim related. Then do a clean reinstall of Win7 and reinstall FSX and copy those items that can still be used without having to reinstall (Some sceneries, etc) You would still need to reinstall all payware aircraft and sceneries that may require online validation.

Reinstalling Windows over an existing installation not recommended.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I know that it can be done while keeping files and programs.

It may keep "files and programs", but note that it won't save/reapply registry entries or any files that may have been stored somewhere in your user profile directory. For those two reasons, I can all but guarantee you that you'll have issues that require re-installing a large majority of programs you use.

I can't give a big enough +1 to Joaquin's comment:

Reinstalling Windows over an existing installation not recommended.

Frank Otero
Posted
Posted

Thanks fellows.

1092537.png