You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What is the best PC for maximum flight sim performance?

Dane Rosenbaum 1212117

Dane Rosenbaum 1212117
Posted
Posted

My old desktop is pretty much shot, so I'm in the market for a new one. I'm looking to be able to run everything on maximum in terms of graphics and scenery. I also need some space for aircraft and scenery downloads aswell. I was wondering if yall could offer some insight as to what PC would be best for this. Budget is about $950ish.

Note that FSX will be the only game running on the PC if that matters at all.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Philip Whitehead 1223066
Posted
Posted

The short answer is to go for the best spec you can afford, FSX is more CPU dependant and less GPU dependant so CPU choice is probably more important. However some high end add ons will benefit from a good GPU also.

Hope this helps.

FSX- X-Plane 10 - Intel Core i5 3570k at 4.2Ghz - MSi Z77 Mpower mobo - EVGA GTX660 Superclocked 3gb - 8gig of Samsung Green DDR3 at 1866mhz

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Dane,

There is no one size fits all "best" computer for graphics, scenery, aircraft, and so forth. Each system, and I do mean each and every one, is just as unique as the human race. The platform you intend to use, the scenery you intend to use, the conditions in which you intend to use them, the aircraft you intend to use them with all play a factor.

For this reason, it always amuses me when I see these types of posts, but I understanding the reason for posting. Problem is, there is no answer for you, merely suggestions and advice that may or may not work, depending on all those conditions above. No one can answer this for you, but that is only my opinion. The best advice was given to you by Philip, "the best spec you can afford".

When I got my new system using Win 7 Pro, 64-bit and both FS9 and FSX with an outdated ATI 4500-series graphics card that I installed after the fact, FS9 ran everything maxed out with all types of addons, both aircraft and scenery. FSX ran well, but I looked at tweaks and tips and suggestions just as you are now to get FSX "better". I stumbled upon Nick Needham's "Bible" here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

In it he gives tips on the type of system to buy...if you can afford it...then he goes into how to setup any system for the best performance you can possible get out of whatever system you get. I followed it, took me several hours over the course of a few days to get through the process, but I was very, very happy with the outcome. He cautions you several times throughout the post not to skip ahead, no matter how tempted you are. Some things you do or don't do later are dependent upon things you did or didn't do earlier.

It can get tedious getting through it, but I think it will help you decide on a system to buy and it will definitely help you get the most out of whatever you buy.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training